Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Book thread/forum section

The problem with typing Drum is tone is in your head not mine.

PH

Aye whatever you say PH. I'm just imagining it eh?

Seemingly.

I find it so sad that a post which is/was meant to be helpful becomes a point of contention when no annoyance is intended.

PH
    Last edited by Poly Hive; 03-11-2013 at 08:08 PM.

Well I'm not going to get into an argument PH. Things go along pretty much in a friendly manner on this forum and far be it from me to change that

Right I see you've edited that post above PH and I feel I have to reply now. Sorry to see you're so sad. I think it was the "go on then" and the "argue with Morse and Hooper". You don't think there's an aggressive or confrontational tone there? Maybe you don't realise it. If you're trying to be helpful maybe there are more diplomatic ways to phrase things.

Nor I sir.

PH

On the number of days to hatch thing David Cramp, who is generally very good, wrote "A Practical Manual of Beekeeping" and in there he points up the variation by a day or so round the standard number of days.
    I can't remember if it was only drones he was talking about but it caught my attention because if you had drones that hatched a day earlier that would have a big effect on Varroa populations and it might be an easier trait to fix in a strain of bees than hygenic behaviour which seems to be dependent on several genes and possibly is a recessive feature that can only be maintained by using artificial Insemination or line breeding

Blog Entries

DR.
    Hygienic behaviour as you say is a polygenic trait but the genes are considered to be additive rather than dominant or recessive, ie if you have more of them there will be more hygienic behaviour displayed, less of them and you get less hygienic behaviour.

Link here on the Glenn Apiaries site.

Dr. Harbo believes that the VSH trait is controlled by an unknown number of additive genes. Additive genes are polygenic that lack dominance. Simply put, the more of these genes are present, the more the trait is expressed.
    My observations about queen emergence are similar to Gerry's. I have had the odd queen emerge a full day early but odder than that is queens which emerge up to 3 days late and they appear to be ok.
    Last edited by Jon; 03-11-2013 at 08:53 PM.

...which allows me to indulge in one of my favourite parts of beekeeping. Peeling the capping off and letting a virgin queen hatch on to my hand!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    DR.
    Hygienic behaviour as you say is a polygenic trait but the genes are considered to be additive rather than dominant or recessive, ie if you have more of them there will be more hygienic behaviour displayed, less of them and you get less hygienic behaviour.
    I'll look for the link on this.

My observations about queen emergence are similar to Gerry's. I have had the odd queen emerge a full day early but odder than that is queens which emerge up to 3 days late and they appear to be ok.
    Hi Jon,
    I think they are additive gosh you have some big words in there
    What seem to be the case is that they are all difficult to fix in a bee population unless you are buying in hygienic queens every other year
    Unlike say decent behaviour