Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Book thread/forum section

Blog Entries

I have a pollen trap and have used it with rape. I also have a copy of this book and I can agree with your comments that the colors in some cases just dont match.

I think its a bit like car paint, the spray can for your exact match can be slightly off, same with household paint strips - they seldom match exactly and same with printing colors on an inkjet the colors can be off. Go into a TV shop and look at the screens, the colors will be different for the same channels all streamed from the same source even for two identical TV models.

I suppose that's life

Medical aspects of beekeeping by Harry Riches: I got this book a few weeks ago (after my visit to a&e) and I have to say it is one of the most interesting bee books I've read. It is quite technical in a medical sense but still understandable. When you read the parts about stings and venom it is amazing to think such a wee insect can produce such a potent venom illiciting such a range of impacts on a human body. Also the sections on the medicinal benefits, or lack of, of various hive products is very much to the point.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Peterborough, and into the flatlands to the north and east ...

Just finished reading "Beekeeping craft and hobby" by A R Cumming and Margaret Logan.

Published in 1950 it is a guide to beekeeping in general. I really enjoyed it, despite it covering a number of things that are in books like Hooper etc, it was done well and gave helpful practical advice.

The sections on swarms and nuclei were good, and there is a really helpful synopsis section at the back.

They were big fans of a 'Glen' hive, it seemed a panacea for many issues. I'd never heard of them before, but they look like a WBC on steroids. Must be a devil to move.

Probably little in there for you experts, but I enjoyed it. 😉

I'm now moving on to the next of my 'vintage' beekeeping book collection.

David

Hi Wmfd
    I have that book as well
    I look out for East of Scotland authors in the old bee books
    Have a look at the last paragraph page43 and 44 to see what they were saying about bee imports
    You find out a lot from old bee books
    Here we are 65 years later what do you conclude

Blog Entries

I dont have the book and its not on my reading list, my local library doesnot have it, so can you paraphrase what it says,Im curious. book not showing up in google search either

Quote Originally Posted by Greengage View Post
    I dont have the book and its not on my reading list, my local library doesnot have it, so can you paraphrase what it says,Im curious. book not showing up in google search either
    Hi Greengage

page43.jpg

Page44.jpg

Hope this works and is readable

You could get a copy from Abe books
    http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Se...et+Logan&sts=t
    There will be other sellers

Checked and I think the Moir Library has a copy (SBA lending library)
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 13-11-2015 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Hi Wmfd
    I have that book as well
    I look out for East of Scotland authors in the old bee books
    Have a look at the last paragraph page43 and 44 to see what they were saying about bee imports
    You find out a lot from old bee books
    Here we are 65 years later what do you conclude
    Thanks DR, for me the end of the section says it all - the best bees being bred in your own neighbourhood. It then lists characteristics they ascribe to black bees at the top (an element of rose tinted spectacles?).

The big thing I took away was how much there had been a mixture of breeds imported, even that long ago. It reads like a list of fads and fashions, each with their own foibles and challenges - nothing changes much does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Greengage View Post
    You're welcome to borrow my copy if it is of interest. I can easily pop in the post.

I'm now on "Bee Farming in Britain" by Herbert Mace, which is proving an odd book.

Quote Originally Posted by Wmfd View Post
    Thanks DR, for me the end of the section says it all - the best bees being bred in your own neighbourhood. It then lists characteristics they ascribe to black bees at the top (an element of rose tinted spectacles?).

The big thing I took away was how much there had been a mixture of breeds imported, even that long ago. It reads like a list of fads and fashions, each with their own foibles and challenges - nothing changes much does it?
    Hi Wmfd
    Yes it just gives a clearer perspective on things like hybridisation
    A lot of French black bees were distributed all over Scotland by Steele and Brodie etc

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wmfd View Post
    Thanks DR, for me the end of the section says it all - the best bees being bred in your own neighbourhood.
    For beginners.

They then go on to say that with experience you can introduce pure bloodlines; this, after previously stating that they believed the native bee was "probably extinct as a pure breed".

Sound like good practical beekeepers to me.