Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Book thread/forum section

I cannot agree more about the modern attitude of look it up on the net and if it is not on the net it is worthless. Came across that attitude more than once on a forum or two. Personally I am a reader. I read about bees for a year before buying my first nuc so at the least I had the table of threes in my head which is something many beekeepers these days do not do and so cannot read the colony.

All three Manley books.

Wedmore is something I still consult and yes the numbering is excellent.

Logan and Mace are authors to consider too.

I am VERY wary of American books as the conditions and bees are so very different to ours. Can be very confusing to beginners who cannot read between the lines.

I asked Bernard why he had never written a book and he said there were already too many. Possibly a dig at one which is never mentioned in book lists oddly. LOL

PH

I agree about Wedmore. My copy lives mostly in the toilet for a quick read during the unmentionable!

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Poly Hive View Post
    ... at the least I had the table of threes in my head which is something many beekeepers these days do not do ...
    I'm entering my fifth year of beekeeping, PH, and I don't know what the table of threes is ... Can you please tell me?
    Kitta

Quote Originally Posted by Poly Hive View Post
    I cannot agree more about the modern attitude of look it up on the net and if it is not on the net it is worthless. Came across that attitude more than once on a forum or two. Personally I am a reader. I read about bees for a year before buying my first nuc so at the least I had the table of threes in my head which is something many beekeepers these days do not do and so cannot read the colony.

All three Manley books.

Wedmore is something I still consult and yes the numbering is excellent.

Logan and Mace are authors to consider too.

I am VERY wary of American books as the conditions and bees are so very different to ours. Can be very confusing to beginners who cannot read between the lines.

I asked Bernard why he had never written a book and he said there were already too many. Possibly a dig at one which is never mentioned in book lists oddly. LOL

PH
    I agree with what you are saying about starting out although I have to admit my first piece of research was watching the dreamworks film Bee Movie then I went to the Library and got Ted Hooper's book and Clive de Bruyn's, followed by contacting my local association and enrolling in the beginners classes. for me it was the right way to do it (there was a bit of a spat on another thread about this). As I'm currently studying for the first of the modular exams I think I'm going to go and buy Ted Hooper's book as it seems to be on the reading lists for most of the exams.

Oh and I recently got my Yates Module 1,2,3 book - intimidating!!!

Steven

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

But Steven, do you know your 'table of threes'?
    Kitta

Maths isn't my strong point particularly the Times tables, perhaps poly hive could enlighten us?

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Worker: 3 days an egg, 5 days moulting, 13 days sealed. 21 days total

Drone: 3 days an egg, 8 days moulting, 13 days sealed. 24 days total

Queen: 3 days an egg, 5- days moulting, 8 days sealed. 16 days total.

Average figures subject to temperatures. Taken from memory and the Beekeeping Encyclopedia.

Without this info reading a colony is unlikely.

Some may remember the americanised bee fiasco in the border states when Africanised queens were found to emerge at 15.5 days. Several millions down the proverbial.
    PH
    Last edited by Poly Hive; 03-11-2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Accuracy

That queen 16 days thing will get you into trouble if you believe it verbatim. Subject to temperatures indeed! And am I stupid or does pupation not take place after sealing? If I am stupid hopefully I can rely on you lot to be nice about telling me so!

Go on then what part of 16 days is the issue? and yes pupation is after sealing sorry wrong word. Re temperatures... argue with Morse and Hooper

PH

Ok - maybe you need to take less of a tone PH.

All I meant is that you can't just assume that your queen cells are going to hatch exactly 8 days after they're sealed. As you suggest they can hatch sooner (ie the day or night before). They can also hatch later and I've frequently released healthy virgins from cells on day 17 or 18. And I was agreeing with you about your temperatures comment! Jeez!
    Last edited by drumgerry; 03-11-2013 at 07:47 PM.