Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Book thread/forum section

Default Book thread/forum section

Hello
    Forgive me if I have overlooked this elsewhere on the forum, but I was thinking it may be a good idea to have either a sticky thread or seperate forum section where members can recommend/review/ask for recommendations on beekeeping books.

Steven

An excellent suggestion if I may say so. We so often see threads appear asking which book for beginner/queen rearing/present and the like. A dedicated section would be an excellent resource for people to tap into. I especially like the idea of people reviewing books.

Blog Entries

We have a favourite links, it could be combined I feel.

Blog Entries

Wondered about that but it really is a different kind of thing.

I'm wary of splitting the forum into more sections - in my view the more you do this the more people revert to a big general one for their posts. And yes, book reviews would be great, but would we have enough to warrant a book section on its own?

Go on - prove me wrong all you literate beekeepers out there. Start posting about books on this thread - and I'll temporarily 'stick' it while we see what happens. We will look at it again in a couple of weeks and unstick it or I'll even eat humble pie and split off the book stuff into different threads in a new section, one for each book, if need be ....

Wedmore: what a mine of useful information even if seriously outdated, no?!

Wedmore: what a mine of useful information even if seriously outdated, no?![/QUOTE]

His book has numbered paragraphs - making it very easy to find things. A lot of the info is still relevant Gavin.

A good book for beginners is Ron Browns' " BEEKEEPING - a seasonal guide " simple straightforward stuff - very well explained.

Gavin we need to categorize books under particular headings e.g. "basic beginners" , " queen rearing" etc,etc. this way forum members can search for a recommended book to suit their particular needs.

Good thinking Grizzly --sections like a library
    Ron Brown a good choice for "getting started"
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 20-09-2013 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    ...Wedmore: what a mine of useful information even if seriously outdated, no?!
    Wedmore's Manual of Beekeeping was the first beekeeping book that I ever bought for myself as a youngster. I still have that copy, the reprint by John Kinross but later also purchased a first edition to get the stuff which had been dropped from the second ed.

Flicking through it just now I came across a paragraph on twin/multi mating nucs where he mentions that interchange of combs can be achieved easily if all of the small colonies are allowed to develop the same 'hive scent'. He suggests drilling small holes through the division boards at top and bottom to facilitate this. Non standard advice that could fit in to the current discussion regarding twin nucs, if only it wouldn't derail the 'poly hive musings' thread too much. There are still lots of gems in this book which could be of interest to the modern day keeper who likes to think rather than just follow.

Numbering of the paragraphs is a great tool that works well. Maybe not the best book to learn modern beekeeping from but I think that anyone with an enquiring mind and a knowledge of current practice should be able to turn to it for assistance with many small problems with the confidence of knowing that at the very least it's as good as a lot of the forum advice that's so easily available. A little like labourer's-food, basic but solid.
    Last edited by prakel; 20-09-2013 at 10:44 PM.

Wedmore was my bible for years,but post varroa and OMF I wonder if there is such a book available now to keep a beginner on the right road

Quote Originally Posted by nemphlar View Post
    Wedmore was my bible for years,but post varroa and OMF I wonder if there is such a book available now to keep a beginner on the right road

maybe Beebase for the Varroa and diseases stuff because it keeps fairly up to date

I Suppose as I started this I better contribute something!
    On another thread I asked for advice on a good book about queen rearing, a few of you suggested "Queen Rearing Essentials" by Lawrence John Connor, in the process of searching for the book online I came across another book by the same author called Increase Essentials, as I was starting again from scratch this year I decided to buy this book first as I felt it was more relevant to my current beekeeping circumstances.
    Having finished reading it I found it very informative and an easy read. The book has opened my eyes to looking at increasing colony numbers as an end in itself rather than exclusively as part of swarm prevention. The book explains the biology behind increases and goes into detail about various methods, preparations and prerequisuits for creating increase colonies. Some parts of the book discuss specifics of beekeeping in America but the overall principles can certainly be applied anywhere. This book, for me, should definitely be used as a reference book, I see myself going back to this book again and again and will definitely make the Queen Rearing book one of my next purchases.

Steven