Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Surreal

Default Surreal

So easy to start wars on fora! I find myself contributing less and less. I try to ignore the self appointed gurus but occasionally I retaliate ,in fact I've just done so(against my better judgement)on the BKF.
    It has got to the point where experienced,helpful Beekeepers no longer respond to questions from novices as any advice given is gleefully pounced on by the "I know better than you" crowd. .
    Sad really but some of these people must live at the keyboard?
    God only knows when they look to their bees.
    WW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

BKF have a good quiz section though

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    The problem is though, as soon as anyone makes a post of any kind, up they pop
    It's not banter it's aggressive, racist, homophobic , the whole spectrum, and that all emanates from just one keyboard

In this particular case he is to beekeeping what Adolf H was to art
    In defence of the BKF.
    It caters for a broad spectrum, it has its fair share of loons but its generally tolerant of all genre's in beekeeping and it seems the natural place for most new beekeepers on the interweb to air their worries, nonsensical banter does feature, as do the "I think straight, and only I'm right" posters.
    It mostly moderates itself and it lets some of the loonier types a great degree of freedom to continue banging their drums, relying on the community at large to stop it getting out of hand.
    If any threads, or posters, are particularly annoying to anyone there is always the options to not read, report any offensive posts, or ignore. I personally have not seen any reason to report many posts, and I would have no hesitation if I thought racist or homophobic sentiments were being aired or going unchallenged.
    I would agree that the browsing experience could be improved by better compartmentalising of different sections of the forum, making it easier to overlook things of no interest to the browser, but on a free access, lightly moderated sight, beggars cant be choosers.
    Slagging off other bee forums is generally frowned upon there.
    Each to their own, but I think it serves its purpose ( as does this forum) and there is room for all.
    Last edited by mbc; 13-09-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    In defence of the BKF.
    It caters for a broad spectrum, it has its fair share of loons
    Slagging off other bee forums is generally frowned upon there.
    Each to their own, but I think it serves its purpose ( as does this forum) and there is room for all.
    Can't say fairer than that you don't need many bad potatoes in a bag
    I thought I was fairly balanced in my comments but any slagging is unjustified as it is the few that spoil it for the many

At one time I was concerned about some people getting banned here and asked if suspension would be more appropriate
    In retrospect I was wrong because the forum is better now because those elements are gone
    Admittedly the number of posts may have reduced but new people will come along to take up the slack
    I'm looking forward to a "President's Blog" from the SBA HQ and an "open letters to the editor" section for the SBA magazine to cherry pick
    Apologies to all offended parties with the exception of that Finnish Idiot
    I'll be off to Winter Hibernation soon like an old hedgehog (if I can avoid being run over)
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 13-09-2013 at 04:43 PM.

The Beekeepers Forum has taken matters in hand and seems all the better for it so thought it only fair to say so
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 18-10-2013 at 12:30 AM. Reason: missing t

The Beekeepers Forum has taken matters in hand and seems all the better for it so thought it only fair to say so
    Too late for me because I've already gone, but I hope that you enjoy yourself there

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    Too late for me because I've already gone, but I hope that you enjoy yourself there
    I think further South there is still some late season wrapping up going on and a few folk looking for some help
    Being honest I sometimes am surprised by some trouble people get themselves in
    Bees still on foundation, queenless , drone layers, you know the stuff
    Often the situation is terminal (for the hive) sad really and they need a bit of advice

I usually just check out SBAi but the season here is over now and that's when folk start wrangling about the Native bee, Bibba ,AMM etc and a lot of stuff that I don't have much interest in

Can't say fairer than that you don't need many bad potatoes in a bag
    I thought I was fairly balanced in my comments but any slagging is unjustified as it is the few that spoil it for the many
    Apologies to all offended parties

No offence taken on my part, I actually largely agreed with your original post, just thought the other side of the coin should see some light too.

Blog Entries

mmm Friday afternoon, not much on in the office, time for a troll in the internet, thanks for the direction.
    Coming soon the "German naturalist beekeepers group", looking for a spot and members in the UK....

Quote Originally Posted by Calum View Post
    mmm Friday afternoon, not much on in the office, time for a troll in the internet, thanks for the direction.
    Coming soon the "German naturalist beekeepers group", looking for a spot and members in the UK....
    Hi Calum

Is this where you are doing your beekeeping?
    0711Lindau.jpg
    Carniolans in the perfect setting
    Very very jealous