Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surreal

Default Surreal

What's happening to the BKF? The threads on 'hive kicked over' and 'I quit now ...' and the one on No more hive thefts (which I both can't find right now and never really want to see again) are extraordinary. I find myself visiting less and less ...

Blog Entries

It's been like that for ages and has got worse since Pete the moderator got tired of trying to put some order in the place.
    I actually find that finman's posts are amongst the few where you can pick up something useful.

Next time I find a few cells of chalkbrood I will know to blame it on my local gamekeeper.

I'm in awe of Pete ... he must be able to multi-task ... moderate and chat (a lot) on the 'phone

10,688 offensive posts and still posting
    Guess who
    Like Voldemort "never say that name Harry"

Gavin? Surely not?

To be honest I've got several of the most obvious numpties on that forum on my ignore list ... it makes for a much more pleasant viewing experience.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Gavin? Surely not?

To be honest I've got several of the most obvious numpties on that forum on my ignore list ... it makes for a much more pleasant viewing experience.
    The problem is though, as soon as anyone makes a post of any kind, up they pop
    It's not banter it's aggressive, racist, homophobic , the whole spectrum, and that all emanates from just one keyboard

In this particular case he is to beekeeping what Adolf H was to art

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Gavin? Surely not?

I wrongly thought it would be better after the neonic spamfest but its actually gone downhill since. Some of the posters are the most pompous shower I've ever come across.

This one is effectively moderated.
    It makes or breaks a forum.

Blog Entries

There is next to no moderation of the SBAI forum as far as I can see. It has not been necessary, other than with two or three pesticide obsessives.
    BKF is hoist on its own petard.
    It was set up by a guy with an axe to grind against the BBKA because he was banned on the bbka forum for some really abusive posts.
    The argument at the time was that the problem with the bbka forum was over zealous moderation and that was certainly true on occasion.
    However, in most cases there was no alternative as a crowd from biobees came on with the sole agenda of wrecking the forum over the pesticide issue and the bbka stance on it.
    They did the same on the bbka facebook page and it was eventually taken down.
    There were also a bunch of bullies, trolls, bores, and people with big egos on the bbka site at the time and several of these have just continued the same way on BKF. The site has boxed itself into a corner with the 'we're not the bbka' stance.
    Actually, the thing I find most irritating about BKF is the vast number of posters who post without actually having anything to say about beekeeping.
    Pete was right. It definitely needs some moderation of it is to retain value to beekeepers. And the bbka site has got better lately although it is still very quiet. The posters are at least civil to each other, same as this forum.

Yep, agree with everything you say.

However, when I have complained re. offensive posts, (not aimed at me, often at novice beekeepers ), nothing is done by either moderator.
    Last edited by Black Comb; 12-09-2013 at 10:04 AM.