Thread: Uniting apidea to nuc

Default Uniting apidea to nuc

I hope this is going to work! I didn't like the idea of wasting the bees/brood if i had removed the queen, so I have united the Q+apidea with newspaper to a 3-frame nuc, (Paynes Poly nuc). I used 3 poly ekes to house the apidea (double box so 10 frames), placed some strong cardboard on the topbars of the nuc with a cut-out the same dimensions as the apidea, newspaper over the cut out hole, and then the apidea placed on top of that with the floor removed. I think it may be working, since there is quite a bit of pollen going in now, and the newspaper is chewed through and removed. I'm thinking I should look for the queen and get her down into the nuc if she is not already, and then put a piece of Q exc under the apidea.
    Regarding the amount of bees/brood in an apidea, with 2 boxes of brood, is that equivalent to a frame of bees? I'm hoping I have made up a nuc that will be strong enough to over-winter.
    Last edited by beejazz; 04-09-2013 at 12:59 AM.

Blog Entries

3 well covered apidea frames is roughly equivalent to a super frame.
    You can unite a queenless apidea with any colony by simply placing it over the feed hole in the crown board above newspaper after removing the floor.

Yes, of course, but options were over-winter the queen in apidea, cage her and use to re-queen a stroppy hive, or unite the whole apidea to a 3 frame nuc, making a strongish 4 framer, that I can either over-winter or re-queen stroppy hive with. I have apiguard on for another 2 weeks, not sure about re-queening, perhaps I had better wait.

I united an apidea with a nuc just a few weeks ago. After one week, the queen was below on a full-sized frame and so I put a queen excluder between the two boxes. The Apidea was removed after all the brood had emerged. The nuc is still quite small so another mini-nuc was shaken in front of it a week or so ago to strengthen it a little.

It's worth considering re-queening a stroppy hive now. If you do, the bees will be decent come spring. If you don't you may well have 2 months of stroppy bees after you re-queen; let's say you re-queen at the end of March which is possible in London, then you could have until the end of May before the stroppy bees have gone.

The unite is going well, had a quick look and there is a nice amount of capped brood in the nuc, however the apidea frames are being filled with stores since I am feeding the nuc down below. I did think about waiting until all the little frames are capped then removing and keeping for next year, but I need all the bees down below i should think, to draw the remaining foundation, 1 and a half, and to keep the brood warm, as the nights are getting chilly now, also I want the stores in the nuc not the apidea boxes. Should I rig up some kind of frame so that I can let a colony or nuc? take down the stores after scratching the capped stuff? Or is it poss to just freeze the frames until needed next year? There are 10.
    I re-queened the stroppy hive, paper unite, must check at the weekend to see if they've taken to her, or not!