Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low varroa counts

Default Low varroa counts

Anyone else seeing low varroa drops, could it be the small over winter clusters and the late breeding start

Treated a colony 2 weeks ago with Apiguard put the 2nd treatment on today, less than 20 mites on the insert. Even with low mite mortality worthwhile completing the course as it is the viruses that do the damage.
    Last edited by nellyp; 23-08-2013 at 06:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries

Everyone locally is reporting low varroa counts.

I did Oxalic trickle on two swarms which arrived in June a couple of days after arrival and neither dropped more than 10 mites in total.

Low counts could be because the non treaters lost all their bees in the long winter

Blog Entries

low mite count seems to be quite general this year.
    Long winter and cold spring may have set the mites back as much as it killed the bees.

I'm seeing the same thing, or rather not seeing much Varroa. Since Varroa levels are closely related to colony size and build up it suggests that mite levels relative to colony size were particularly low at the beginning of the season. I presume this must be due to longer than usual broodless period.

I for one cursed the long cold Spring. However, those who successfully overwintered their colonies through it appear to have had a generally good year, with good colony health and yields of honey. Perhaps we should welcome lousy weather until late May!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Deja vu all over again indeed but to be honest, I don't think I have had a colony with a critical level of mites in about 4 years.
    I read with incredulity those who report drops of 3-4 thousand as I never seem to see more than a few hundred mites per colony.
    I treat with Apiguard in August and Oxalic in late December.

The native Irish Honeybee Society is currently planning an all Ireland varroa monitroring project which is in its advanced stages.
    I'll post details in a new thread shortly. It involves taking a sample of 300 bees and shaking in icing sugar to dislodge mites once a year between 15 August and 15 September before treatment starts. In addition 100 bees from colonies sampled will be sent to Galway University for DNA analysis.
    Some colonies have lower mite counts than others for whatever reason and these ones might be useful for selecting breeder queens.

I for one cursed the long cold Spring. However, those who successfully overwintered their colonies through it appear to have had a generally good year, with good colony health and yields of honey. Perhaps we should welcome lousy weather until late May![/QUOTE]

Can't find an accurate lifespan for phoretic mites, mention of several months, I'm pretty sure this winter mine were several months without brood. Might turn the idea of young queen replacements in August laying well into the autumn on its head

My total mite drop from 9 hives - after treatment with thymol mix- was 30 mites - all from one hive.