Hi Eric.
I think there are two main areas of concern over GM crops, imho, but the Frankenfoods line much loved by the tabloids is not one of them.
They are (a) the possibility of GM genes conferring herbicide resistance getting into weeds such as charlock and (b) the loss of, or restriction of use of, heritage or traditional seeds often planted by sharecroppers in developing countries.
In Mexico the poorest farmers do not own land but they often enter into a scheme knows as ir a medias which roughly translated means to go 50:50.
The typical arrangement involves a landowner supplying and preparing the land for the sowing of seed owned by the sharecropper and his family. The sharecropper is responsible for sowing the seed as well as tending and harvesting the crop. Profits are split 50:50.
I honestly wouldn't worry about the possibility of growing hairs in my mouth, even on a diet of pure GM soya.
I would like to see that Russian paper rather than read speculative press comment. I am sure at a minimum the abstract is available in English.

You know what they say - the first sign of madness is hairs growing on the palms of your hands - and the second sign is looking for them!