Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sugar syrup

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    Thanks DR - I certainly found your post and the link useful.
    Kitta
    I found it interesting and useful as well. Never knew not to mix drawn comb with foundation. My supers are full of it. Better get some of them sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    You might be ok with the thinner syrup at the moment
    If they are using as it comes in
    Can't imagine moving from Smiths I'm a fan
    The reason I'm moving to commercial is to give a bigger brood space, without the hassle of doublespeak or brood and a half. at the moment my converted Smith can still take Smith supers and it will mean that in the future if creating nucs for others I can do it onto Smith frames whilst maintaining my bigger brood space, I plan to get proper commercial hives next year therefore providing some flexibility

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I found it interesting and useful as well. Never knew not to mix drawn comb with foundation. My supers are full of it. Better get some of them sorted out.
    Mixing drawn comb in a super of foundation is a fine way to get bees into a super they might otherwise ignore, who cares if they draw the foundation next to the drawn comb a bit shallow ? it can easily be sorted out before using again.

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Default sugar syrup

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    Mixing drawn comb in a super of foundation is a fine way to get bees into a super they might otherwise ignore, who cares if they draw the foundation next to the drawn comb a bit shallow ? it can easily be sorted out before using again.
    Well mine were certainly ignoring most of the frames but especially the foundation. But at present my bees could are only worthy of a very dark tv series or novel - murder.

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    Yes, but what about the extra fat comb the bees draw out next to the foundation?!

Blog Entries

Deeper cells are easily tidied up later with a sharp knife. Just pare them back a little where the cells are deeper.
    You see this often in a brood box if two frames have not been pushed tightly together. The bees draw out the cells at the top more deeply to use for honey storage.