Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Extractor advice required please

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    DR they're both tangential ... I'm with you in post #15 ... stainless steel, radial and motorised. I'd also add 9 frame. Unless the OP has no plans of scaling up to >4 hives. Like I didn't

Has the OP disappeared? This isn't like that waspkeeping thread is it? We're awash with jaspers here so whoever perfected the art of queen wasp raising ought to be ashamed of themselves.
    You are dead right there Fatshark a radial is best
    Didn't notice that little detail

I missed Triangle it sounds riveting
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 16-08-2013 at 09:40 PM.

Orkney (it’s usually cool and windy but somehow the bees survive!)

The six frame Thomas extractor I bought from Steele & Brodie about twenty years ago is still like new. Because it’s tangential the only down side is having to turn the frames around. If anyone out there is thinking of upgrading their extractor then you could always go for this. http://www.thomas-apiculture.com/pro...e/la-combinee/ Unfortunately I don’t have a big enough kitchen.

I just want one with a motor
    The manual has the sweat pouring off me in the warm extractor room

D.R. why don't you electrify your extractor ?. Thornes sell the conversion kit - much cheaper than replacing the complete unit.

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZLY View Post
    D.R. why don't you electrify your extractor ?. Thornes sell the conversion kit - much cheaper than replacing the complete unit.
    Thanks grizzly I will look into that possibility in the closed season

Default SafNatura extractors - any experience?

I'm resurrecting this thread to find out if anyone has experience of the quality of SafNatura extractors - specifically their 9 frame motorised radial units? I'm after a radial SS machine for National supers.

I was (whisper it) shopping for Apidea's from Bee Equipped for Crimbo and noticed their pricing on these extractors. This is a few hundred quid less than the equivalents from Giordan or others, and about £200 less even than the sale prices from Maisemores.

I guess the key questions I'm interested in are the overall quality of construction, whether the design is good (tap at the bottom, with no lip for example), robustness, ease of cleaning, availability of spares (which looks good), can I sneak it onto the premises without the wife noticing etc.?

I bought an extractor from Bee Equipped about 12 years ago. It was not Safnatura but looked very similiar and it's been faultless. The differences I can see with mine and the SafNatura is that mine has plastic gearing (which I utilised when I later motorised it) as opposed to the steel ones in the new one, and mine has a welded-in honey gate at the bottom where the new one has a plastic one. I see that as a potential problem because I imagine it would be impossible to get the plastic one as low as a welded one. Hence it might be a pain getting the last of the honey out of the bottom.

If no-one else can offer any first hand experience with the machine I would check on the details of the valve mounting.

Saf Natura extractors … first impressions are very good. I bought one this week from Bee Equipped. The stainless steel is very well finished, with no coarse edges as I've seen on a couple of other models I looked at. The cage is resin. The one they illustrate is the electronic one - programmable - but not the one they sell. Mine has a standard manual motor. Reversible. The honey gate is perhaps a little too high (as Rosie suggests), but tipping the extractor got most of the dregs out. It dealt with ~120 frames yesterday without me so much as breaking sweat