Thread: part time

Default part time

Hi all, im in the process of creating a sealed environment in my loft for honey extraction so I can sell my honey. However ive heard conflicting views on the type of extractor im allowed to use.

Does anyone know where I can get info on what im allowed and not allowed to use (heard I cant use a tin extractor).

Tried to find stuff on the food standards site but to no avail.

Dave

Blog Entries

Definitely don't use a tin plate extractor. They should all have been binned decades ago. Trading Standards may not mention it as they are hard to find now. Clean stainless steel, food-grade epoxy resin coated, food grade plastic.

Are you going to be comfortable lugging full supers and everything else into your loft?

Hi Gavin, im going to split the supers into plastic containers which snuggly fit 5 frames so will make it a bit easier.

Am only planning 2 maybe 3 hives to be honest

Blog Entries

If you are only extracting honey for your own use then you can relax on the sealing of the extracting room and maybe the other hygiene aspects - and Trading Standard would be unlikely to be interested. I thought that you were planning something more grand. Most people use their kitchens if they are just using the honey themselves - certainly running water helps!

cheers, G

Hi Gavin,

yeah even though im only having at least 3 hives there is about 5 more peeps who will want to use it and we may combine to sell on a larger scale.7

Thanks for your advice

Dave