Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st grafting attempt

Quote Originally Posted by greengumbo View Post
    Had a quick peek after getting back tonight and 2 out of 6 takes I'm just playing this year so am pretty happy. I am guessing I cant retry the remainer as its a bit late now but tempted to stick another bar (this time with more cells) in next to this one - can that work ?
    Well done that is not bad for a first attempt I would be happy with that
    If you get them completed hatched and mated that's been worth it already

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Well done that is not bad for a first attempt I would be happy with that
    If you get them completed hatched and mated that's been worth it already
    Cheers DR - I think its safe to say I'll be going down this route from now on and selecting good queens. It more grafts tonight if the rain holds off. Next stage is trying to figure out how to use a wee mating nuc, some great info on this forum about that so will have a read. Started this season worried about having bees get through winter but its become a lot more than that ! I'll try get some pics tonight.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by greengumbo View Post
    Cheers DR - I think its safe to say I'll be going down this route from now on and selecting good queens.
    It is like a eureka moment when you realise you don't have to base queen rearing or nuc production an whatever colony just happens to produce queen cells.
    It's not complicated at all and any beekeeper could set up a box to produce queen cells either via grafts or Snelgrove board.
    Where this really comes into its own is via a queen rearing or bee improvement group as it gives you a lot more colonies to pick and chose from with regard to the source material for grafting.

Quickie anyone. I have a feeling I misjudged the time that the "naturally" raised QC I found in the hive I added a mated queen to was sealed (see previous post) and it may hatch tonight or tommorrow. Is it likely to fail if I put it in a non-primed mating nuc or can I cage it for a few days and allow the mating nuc bees realise they need a queen ? I heard you can just wait until they "roar" after a few hours then pop in a ripe cell / virgin ?

Blog Entries

One of the daftest things propagated about queen rearing is that a mini nuc needs to be left in the dark for 3 days before the cell is added.
    Just fill your nuc, wait an hour and put the cell in. It would probably be ok to just fill it and put the cell in but the 'priming for 3 days' stuff is nonsense. Some people even wrap cells in tinfoil or use special cell protectors but that is not necessary either.

Peterborough, and into the flatlands to the north and east ...

Default 1st grafting attempt

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    One of the daftest things propagated about queen rearing is that a mini nuc needs to be left in the dark for 3 days before the cell is added.
    Just fill your nuc, wait an hour and put the cell in. It would probably be ok to just fill it and put the cell in but the 'priming for 3 days' stuff is nonsense. Some people even wrap cells in tinfoil or use special cell protectors but that is not necessary either.
    Yes, and a heartfelt thanks for that from a long time 'lurker'. As first timers we successfully got two queen cells hatched and mated/laying.

I'd filled the mini-nucs the day before and put the cells in the next. I found the advice on here invaluable.

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

It is the 'first timers' who are the most enthusiastic queen rearers in my experience.
    Some of the longer term beekeepers are very defensive about what they never learned to do.
    It really is quite a straightforward process, although attention to detail is the killer at certain times and poor weather can ruin the best laid plans.

Default 1st grafting attempt

Yes, I think enthusiasm was what carried us through. We had some queen cells going spare in a good hive (it was only swarming due to our super related incompetence earlier in the season).

It seemed a shame to waste them. Now looking to use to requeen the nastiest hives we have.

Would like to try grafting but need to learn a bit more so have a vague idea what I'm doing.

Thanks again,

David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Blog Entries

The grafting is the easiest part.
    There is a mystique attached to it for some reason - but it involves about the same hand eye coordination as it takes to thread a needle and we don't fete that as a high level skill.

You haven't seen me threading a needle

I will have to give it a go. How late in the year can you realistically start grafts (I'm just looking and thinking it'll be later in August before I get a chance given holidays and all)?

Also what would I need equipment wise? Presumably some form of cell cups, I was looking at the Jz Bz type, then knock together a cell bar or two and fit in a frame?

Sorry - I've hijacked this thread!