Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st grafting attempt

Default 1st grafting attempt

Its done. Hardest part was finding a frame of suitable sized larvae !

I went through the hive and sorted out the frames I wanted then replaced with drawn comb, moving the desired ones up into the 2nd brood box above QE. Sandwiched the cell bar (which had bee in for a day) between open brood and pollen / stores and big dummies on either side (the worst looking dummies you can imagine). I then went through my selected breeder nuc and took out a frame of open brood. Nipped inside with a trail of angry bees. Quickly but carefully selected larvae that looked slightly bent and put them in the cells. Replaced the cell bar and left them to it. Excellent.

I also took the opportunity to check on a nuc that got a mated queen added the the other day (I know I should leave them be but I was curious). Prior to adding the Q I had knocked down 7 Q Cells. I must have missed one as there is now a sealed QC. I saw the introduced queen wandering about looking lovely so should I just cut the cell out ? I thought they would have torn it down already ?

Anyway it was all very fun. Even received my first sting.

Blog Entries

GG.
    They probably wont start too many cells with the first set of grafts but in 24 hours they will be more likely to get going.
    If you chose a frame of larvae which also has eggs on it you can put it in the top box where you know it is handy and then have a second bite at the grafting cherry 24 hours later without having to root through a brood box looking for suitable age larvae.

Quote Originally Posted by greengumbo View Post

I also took the opportunity to check on a nuc that got a mated queen added the the other day (I know I should leave them be but I was curious). Prior to adding the Q I had knocked down 7 Q Cells. I must have missed one as there is now a sealed QC. I saw the introduced queen wandering about looking lovely so should I just cut the cell out ? I thought they would have torn it down already ?
    Hi Greengumbo
    I would take that cell down otherwise they most probably will bump off your queen in favour of one of their own making.
    Or you could cut it out and put it on your cell raising bar

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Hi Greengumbo
    I would take that cell down otherwise they most probably will bump off your queen in favour of one of their own making.
    Or you could cut it out and put it on your cell raising bar
    Good call. I was thinking of cutting it out and sticking it in a home-bodged mating nuc as well. This bee stuff is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    GG.
    They probably wont start too many cells with the first set of grafts but in 24 hours they will be more likely to get going.
    If you chose a frame of larvae which also has eggs on it you can put it in the top box where you know it is handy and then have a second bite at the grafting cherry 24 hours later without having to root through a brood box looking for suitable age larvae.
    Thanks for the tip Jon. Unfortunately I'm away until sunday now but will try again then. When is it okay to have a peek at the cell bar post-grafting ?

Hi Greengumbo
    I was asking the same question a few weeks ago and surprisingly (thanks Jon) you check the cell bar 24 hrs later to see how many they have started

Blog Entries

If you check even 4 hours later it is often informative as all the larvae will be gone in that time if they are not in the form to start cells.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    If you check even 4 hours later it is often informative as all the larvae will be gone in that time if they are not in the form to start cells.
    Ha!! you were holding out on me then

Had a quick peek after getting back tonight and 2 out of 6 takes I'm just playing this year so am pretty happy. I am guessing I cant retry the remainer as its a bit late now but tempted to stick another bar (this time with more cells) in next to this one - can that work ?

Blog Entries

Just regraft any anytime you want as long as you know where the cells are and when they are due to hatch.