Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Swarms or bees

Hi Kitta
    how about this one I mentioned in another thread
    I raise 5 queen cells and so I can get a new lot in the queen raiser I move them to another queenless colony for finishing
    Only I don't I put them in the queenless hive oh no no no I put them in the queen right one next to it
    Needless to say they were all torn down

Hi DR
    Bees are settling in nicely, I've got them in a smith to commercial conversion, plenty of brood and making a good fist of drawing out the full commercial frames they have. I have been looking into the queen rearing and doing a fair bit of reading, I'm still not sure how things will work out on that front but obviously my priority is getting the bees through this winter then attempting not to repeat the mistakes of last/this year. I suppose my first step has been the conversion to bigger brood boxes and I think I have come to the conclusion that my original desire to maintain just 2 colonies will have to be revised up to 3 or 4, good job the Thornes sale is coming up Going back to my original point I suppose I was trying to say that it may not be the best idea for people just to get bees on a whim without adequate research/knowledge/training/whatever, as they say a dog is for life not just for christmas, a bee is for life not just for summer (technically a bee is just for 6 weeks or 6 months but.....) and we all have a duty to act in a responsible manner

Steven

Hi snimmo
    that's good news glad they are making progress
    It has been better beekeeping weather this year

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindsay s View Post
    Hello Dave
    You seem to be very enthusiastic about setting up an apiary and starting up your beekeeping. You will have already found out that if you ask a question on this forum someone will usually come up with a helpful answer. I think your reply to Dark Bee was a bit harsh as he was only offering good advice. I’ve kept bees for more than 30 years and in that time I’ve made plenty of mistakes so I’m still learning. If you were to slow down and read a few good beekeeping books you wouldn’t have to come on this forum to ask very basic questions about drones and queen mating. Hopefully by this time next year you’ll be a little bit wiser. Keep calm and carry on beekeeping.
    Lindsay, I disagree.

For an honest and simple question in this part of the forum, exchange and mart which, on here at least, implies a local slant; I think Dave got jumped on a bit harsh.

I think it also sends out a very mixed message when someone relatively new to the hobby cant ask questions in one area and also seek to obtain bees in another area of the very same forum "because they're not experienced enough". What's Dave supposed to do? Distance learn the NDB and then we'll judge him worthy of asking for a Nuc without assuming he's going to do what supposed experienced beekeepers did before him?

It's not the potential new beekeepers who are the problem, it's those sat in judgement above them who not only give them no other alternative but who conveniently forget there was a time they didn't know a bee from a wasp either.

Quote Originally Posted by Neils View Post
    Lindsay, I disagree.

For an honest and simple question in this part of the forum, exchange and mart which, on here at least, implies a local slant; I think Dave got jumped on a bit harsh.

I think it also sends out a very mixed message when someone relatively new to the hobby cant ask questions in one area and also seek to obtain bees in another area of the very same forum "because they're not experienced enough". What's Dave supposed to do? Distance learn the NDB and then we'll judge him worthy of asking for a Nuc without assuming he's going to do what supposed experienced beekeepers did before him?

It's not the potential new beekeepers who are the problem, it's those sat in judgement above them who not only give them no other alternative but who conveniently forget there was a time they didn't know a bee from a wasp either.
    Sir,
    With what do you disagree? I offered constructive advice to someone called "Dave" and it apparently offended his sensibilities as he now regarded himself as being quite expert and knowledgeable and unlikely though it may be, perhaps he is. I had previously responded to earlier posts of his which asked very basic questions.
    Your post is somewhat incoherent, but it is clear that you are referring to my response - why not have the moral courage to damn me to my face and not do it indirectly through a third party? The advice I gave was friendly - is there something wrong with that in your opinion? The gratuitous response from "Dave" was abusive, it seems you find that quite acceptable as you have avoided any reference to it.
    It seems you view me as a problem - "it's those sat in judgement etc etc". Perhaps you will derive some comfort from the fact that it is now my intention to shortly leave this forum and thus cannot be a problem here any longer. I have no tolerance of instant experts but even less tolerance of the spineless type you so ably represent. Damn me to my face like a man and not the cowards way which you clearly favour. Your post is an impertinence and very much a liberty.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Bee View Post
    Sir,
    With what do you disagree? I offered constructive advice to someone called "Dave" and it apparently offended his sensibilities as he now regarded himself as being quite expert and knowledgeable and unlikely though it may be, perhaps he is. I had previously responded to earlier posts of his which asked very basic questions.
    Your post is somewhat incoherent, but it is clear that you are referring to my response - why not have the moral courage to damn me to my face and not do it indirectly through a third party? The advice I gave was friendly - is there something wrong with that in your opinion? The gratuitous response from "Dave" was abusive, it seems you find that quite acceptable as you have avoided any reference to it.
    It seems you view me as a problem - "it's those sat in judgement etc etc". Perhaps you will derive some comfort from the fact that it is now my intention to shortly leave this forum and thus cannot be a problem here any longer. I have no tolerance of instant experts but even less tolerance of the spineless type you so ably represent. Damn me to my face like a man and not the cowards way which you clearly favour. Your post is an impertinence and very much a liberty.
    One of the strengths of this forum has been the non-judgemental, friendly way it handles requests from the inexperienced. With all the banter there is also a risk that we're seen as cliquey, but as long as those with little experience can ask questions, make requests, and talk about their mistakes openly without experiencing any kind of put-down, then we'll keep that open, welcoming atmosphere.

I haven't discussed this thread with Neil, but I agree with him 100%. In Dave's case, I doubted that he was likely to be put off by the things said, but many of your average nervous beginners would be. So, folks, we were all beginners once. **Please** let's return to simply being helpful and not making mountains out of molehills, preaching, or being spiky.

Non-judgemental. There's a good ethos for all posters. Dark Bee, I hope that we meet sometime, and I'm sure that it will be on friendly terms. But take that word and see just how often it applies to your last post.

Gavin

Good grief whats going on now ?
    Fair enough all the threads get a bit mixed up
    this is exchange and mart not advice
    I thought spam was what arrived in my inbox from Ugandan princes
    Anyway my advice is exchange the the frown for a smile you grumpy devils
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 25-07-2013 at 09:09 AM.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

It would be a shame to lose you, Dark Bee. Just ignore all of this little spat. It's not important.

Kitta

I agree Kitta
    By the way I now understand the vertical split thing with a solid board
    Re-read Ian Craig beekeeping year
    Seems that's what Ian does if he finds Q cells as you said
    Don't fancy it much myself
    You get all the disadvantages of a Snelgrove with none of the advantages
    As soon as you lift that top box down you would have bees fighting all round you
    How many dozen colonies are you up to now ?
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 25-07-2013 at 02:35 PM.

Default Swarms or bees

For a minute there I thought I was on the other forum. One of the huge strengths of this forum is that people generally don't indulge in strops. Long may that continue! Dark bee clearly has a lot of experience to share and he's been a great addition to the forum. Surely we can manage to disagree with each other without getting all het up. It's not life and death after all just a couple of forum posts.