Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: One size fits all,

Maybe! But, I'm not suggesting that more combs in the base box are beneficial, just that if the space is there it might as well be filled with comb...

I have a couple of warres which I have managed to occupy this year: both on two boxes.

Going to try a QE next year and build them big.

Currently frameless bars but decided to go for the semi verticals on the sides and a QE - which I shall have to make. . As with all of my hives, made from pallets..

Blog Entries

@ MAAF
    I know of the frames you mention, plus the metal bar frames, plus very thin full wood frames. Being in my first Warré year at the moment, I'm still on top bars. I'm interested to know why you have decided to go for frames, and why that particular type of frame. Thanks.

Blog Entries

@Prakel
    I have read (Ian Rumsey) that a wider framed box, with more frames would give a brood nest with a *horizontal ellipse*form, whilst the opposite would give one with a *vertical ellipse* section and that this could play a part in varroa grooming by the bees.

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    @ MAAF
    I know of the frames you mention, plus the metal bar frames, plus very thin full wood frames. Being in my first Warré year at the moment, I'm still on top bars. I'm interested to know why you have decided to go for frames, and why that particular type of frame. Thanks.
    Chris.

I have found the topbars a real pia. I know warres are supposed to be left alone and not interfered with but in the real world.. that is - in my view - totally impractical. Given there is a local outbreak of AFB, if it came to my bees, an Inspector would find inspection impossible. And given the problems I - along with others - have with improperly mated queens etc and drone layers.. I have decided that some more flexibility is needed. I am not one for frequent inspections..if I can avoid it - but I'm fed up with swarms (my own that is: other's are welcome),,

Looked at wire frames.. Lot of money (well not really) and lots of effort (yes).

I'm a lazy beekeeper and KISS.. so I thought the half frame looks simple and should make life easier..

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    @Prakel
    I have read (Ian Rumsey) that a wider framed box, with more frames would give a brood nest with a *horizontal ellipse*form, whilst the opposite would give one with a *vertical ellipse* section and that this could play a part in varroa grooming by the bees.
    Hi Chris, can't say that I'm familiar with Ian Rumsey's opinions but I've just done a quick net search and got a 'taste' although detailed articles seem to be lacking -I'll search again this evening (unless you can offer some 'easy' links in the meantime!!).

Blog Entries

Hi Prakel, try this one

http://pcela.rs/ian_pure_simple2.htm

First time on the forum for me after on and off stalking for a while!
    Currently I have old, wooden, 'homemade I think, Smiths. They have been fine to get me started but I am now ready to get properly set up and I'm thinking Polystyrene is the way to go.
    But which hive? I like the idea of one size of box but I'm not overly concerned if I have to have 2 different sizes. I have been tempted by the Modern Beekeeping Langstroth maybe all on mediums or deep and mediums but have seen some negative comments about them. Would I be best to go for National just to fit in with everyone else but end up with the 1 1/2 or double brood box quandary from time to time.
    This is my one chance to 'get it right' so I'd be grateful for any advice.

Hi JenB
    I use Smith Hives, and if you can afford them, the cedar brood and super boxes from Thornes will last forever.
    They don't need any treatment and are very light when empty
    Polystyene needs painting

Paynes sell Swienty Langstroths. The complete hive is a good price, but you can buy one size of box if you want.

Beehive Supplies in Cornwall do standard National and 14x12, their hives are rather amazing. Paynes do standard national, 14x12 and both size nucs. All frames etc are cross compatible with wooden nationals. If you want to try each supplier Beehive Supplies Nationals and Paynes Nationals can be used together, they collaborated on certain aspects of the design.

C Wynne Jones do Swienty Nationals, but I've never seen one. I've heard they are top bee space, but I could be completely wrong.