Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: European Foulbrood

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    Here's a beekeeper with a novel approach to detecting foulbrood: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-0...er-dog/4795960
    No reason whatever to assume it would not work. The ability of dogs to track and to search successfully under arduous conditions is amazing. Dogs have been trained to detect if accelerants were used in starting fires and to indicate on oil leaking from cables buried deeply underground. So indicating on AFB should be relatively easy. The late stages when there is a secondary infection would scarcely need a dog, the revolting sour smell would be indication enough!. The early stages would be difficult to detect and there a sniffer dog would be invaluable.

Gavin, that's frighteningly close. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    I have EFB 9 miles away - better - but not far enough. We seem to have a high prevalence of it in Norfolk.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Bee View Post
    No reason whatever to assume it would not work. The ability of dogs to track and to search successfully under arduous conditions is amazing..
    I have an image of a Doberman(n) in that suit climbing trees to check AFB in feral colonies.
    Last edited by chris; 18-07-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    I have an image of a Doberman(n) in that suit climbing trees to check AFB in feral colonies.
    The multipurpose guard dog is obviously the future of beekeeping.
    Sees off intruders and sniffs out foulbrood.
    An Irish Varroa hound would be the breed to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    What an innovative idea and thank you for the two "n's". Mr Moscow Dobermann here, probably would not need the suit - most beings flee at his approach (the scrap metal merchant has descended from the holly tree - I checked last Monday).

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    The multipurpose guard dog is obviously the future of beekeeping.
    An Irish Varroa hound would be the breed to develop.
    There are some colonies of AMM here and several apideas with queens, all quite bees. Anyone that wants to is welcome to walk in, take whatever he wants and walk out again.
    On two occasions in recent years there have been attempts to burgle a neighbouring house - have you ever seen a burglar pleased to see the police arriving? Beats seeing a varroa/AFB hound in action.

Blog Entries

Default European Foulbrood

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Gavin, that's frighteningly close. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    I went through them carefully this afternoon and all seems well - except that I've far too many failed splits, now united with a queen-right box. It was cold while these early virgins were receptive. There is honey appearing in abundance, yellow-green stuff which I suspect is lime. Yay!

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Default European Foulbrood

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Hairs stand on end when it detects neonics, and whimpers when its owner is about to do something daft. (You're part-way there.)

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

Gavin ,the zone is 3 . MILES (5 kilometres). How do I know ?. because I've just been served with a standstill notice from the Agriculture, Food and Rural Communities Directorate - Animal health and Welfare division. This is following the return of 6 colonies from the OSR. I was invited to have my bees inspected as part of a Scotland wide survey into colony health. Thank the lord that I did so. Our local inspector arranged a visit which was carried out last Tuesday. Almost the last frame in the last colony inspected revealed ONE suspect cell. A prod with a matchstick revealed the stringy remains which has tested positive for AFB. I received the positive confirmation today. Without the trained eye of John our inspector, I don't think I would have spotted it until a lot later when the disease could have taken hold and infected more colonies .Treatment ?. Shut up the bees at night when they have finished flying , seal the entrance and joints , pour about a pint of petrol into the hive to kill the colony, leave until the next morning. Meanwhile dig a b----y big hole to take the hive and contents. Next morning put hive and contents into said hole and set fire to it. The ministry were very good and sent me the instructions for treating plastic hives to kill the AFB spores. Virkon S will kill EFB but is ineffective with AFB. You have to use a strong bleach for this - you know the one " kills 99% of all germs "!.
    My -plans to do some cut-comb this year and take my bees to our local heather have now been put on hold until next year. What a b----r EH ?.

Blog Entries

Bugger that - but with luck only the one colony affected. What is the history of that one and the comb in it?