Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Time in Apidea

Default Time in Apidea

In contrast to Jon I have had a few QCs this year ... the culprits have been visited by my thumb, and the remaining workers are currently chewing their way through fondant to release a better strain of queen altogether ;-)

Blog Entries

That's the way to go fatshark. Why put up with difficult bees when you can improve them.
    Part of my lack of swarm cells this season is slow build up as much as low swarming tendency.
    Either way, lack of queen cells in the colonies is very welcome. Makes life a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Bee View Post
    O dear, the good Mr Posco is a marking pen or more correctly is a pen used for marking
    Inevitably it is made in the Far East.
    Ahhhah, of course! He who comes in bright colours and shrivels up if you leave his hat off too long.

Always used to leave Q marking until the Spring until I started this Q rearing malarkey. So tempting to send her off in a cage with a fine red mark on her thorax, looking just gorgeous! I will desist.

But I've never lost a queen soon after marking ... not yet anyway. I wonder if anyone has studied different outcomes with different methods of handling/holding/restraining Qs for marking. Is that the crux of it do you think?

And Jon, some of my bees have been making swarm cells this year. But they are not fully Amm and we enjoyed a good spell of weather through most of May and the first half of June.