Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What I love about this forum....

Thumbs up What I love about this forum....

Not to get too mushy but....

This is a great forum, with a great friendly atmosphere (diametrically opposite to beekeepingforum) and populated by a bunch of helpful and slightly insane people.

As an example in the past week I've been given lots of great advice, sent two virgin queens free of charge by Gavin, and spent 45 minutes (after his 14 hour beekeeping day no less) on the phone with PeteL on the subject of II. Jon, DR, Neil etc etc etc have a wealth of experience and knowledge and are only to happy to share.

These are quite rare things in my pretty wide experience of forums. We don't even have any resident grumps!

So time to take stock and give thanks.

You guys are great....sniff.

I'll second that Drumgerry
    I'm waiting to see if Neil ever unboxes his Compound scope
    And for hilarious reports on how many queens you stab to death before the first AI super queen rolls of the production line
    Gavin's attempts to out gun the thousands of commercial hives with his large wing drones (biplane style)
    The grafts I made during the bad weather Sunday followed by cold nights have failed (one start only out of 12)
    Without Jon's advice to check after a day I would have been wasting a lot of waiting time
    Today or tomorrow I'll try again now weather is improving

Blog Entries

Yes, there is some high quality nonsense talked on this forum. Long may it continue.
    No better man than Pete-L for some advice on II.
    The problem with BKF is that in part it was set up as a riposte to the BBKA forum which was seen as being overmoderated.
    Actually it wasn't as there were about half a dozen who signed up from the biobees forum with the express intent of destroying it. They did the same with the BBKA Facebook page which was then pulled. There was no option but to get rid.
    Some of the regular posters on BKF clearly need to be reeled in but the forum is hoist on its own petard.
    There is too much whining about suppliers and other posters and not enough about beekeeping.
    And that thing about not be able to say Thorne or Maisemore is like something out of Kafka.
    I mean, people want to compare and contrast one supplier with another without all this nonsense.
    But better to be positive about this one rather than negative about the others.
    This forum has more of a focus on bee breeding and native stock which is more in line with my own interests.

Blog Entries

There is a superb German forum where everything is better.
    Its full of tools (and some really nice knowledgeable people drowned out by the shouting).
    I much prefer it here, I wish Í could do more to support beekeeping in Scotland as there is enough here...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....................But better to be positive about this one rather than negative about the others.
    This forum has more of a focus on bee breeding and native stock which is more in line with my own interests.
    I concur with this attitude. I am not a compulsive member of forums and took a long time before joining here.
    There are undoubtedly some splendid members in the P****Yn**es forum and some who should not be allowed on any forum. But heaven help anyone there who does not pay due homage to the forum elders.
    Last edited by Dark Bee; 25-06-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calum View Post
    There is a superb German forum where everything is better.
    There is a welsh forum which is even better than that, the quality of the nonsense is unabridged tomfoolery and every single put down and correction is liquid gold quality, unfortunately I'm the only member (tool) and the forum only exists in my head.
    Long live the porridge jockeys amphitheater of apiarism !

The only thing I'll say in connection with the other forum is that I've given up on it completely. After a couple of spats with some of the cantankerous argumentative crew during the winter it was dragging me down. This place is like a breath of fresh air.

Aww mbc I was away to look the Welsh forum up till I read the last bit! A leek munchers temple of beekeeping togetherness would be good don't you think?!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    So time to take stock and give thanks.

You guys are great....sniff.
    Ya big softie!

To be fair to the BKF it is a rather busier forum than this one so you are more likely to get the odd misfit. I do agree though that they should try harder to discourage the spiky and the arrogant. And Pete L in DG's list of people to thank is more strongly associated with the BKF than this one.

Long may this one continue to be knowledgeable, helpful, welcoming, questioning. Thanks folks.

Peace and goodwill to all beekeeping fora out there (except perhaps Biobees of course). The NZ one always looked quite good when I popped in.

drumgerry ... what? No mention for Kieth and his wasps? Shame on you. And shame on you for putting the phone down on PeteL after only 45 minutes How else could the conversation last such a short time?

And in response to G's request for questions I've posted one in Queen Raising.