Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: An appeal for action :)

Default RE: An appeal for action :)

They are all in nationals at the moment, all with frames of undrawn foundation to spare (one with supers below to try to get them drawn). I have ordered some more boxes and was aiming to all onto either double brood or brood and a half for overwintering but I have no experience of how fast they can build up, or whether that much space is necessary/advisable.

Gavin, you have touched on my biggest fear: losing the bees over winter. This is one of the reasons I wanted to make increase. But if that would be counterproductive (I.e. Reduce the chances of my existing colonies surviving) then I wouldn't bother at this stage.

I have been attending the local association meetings since last autumn and am now good friends with some of the members. My local bees are nice and dark and I had thought that they would be a good start for queen rearing/making increase. Another thought was to buy in queens as from reading many posts on this forum it seems AMM may be best suited to my location. But there are so many commercial colonies round here I will never successfully breed a certain strain. Not that I have any problem with that as I regard someone's livelihood as taking precedence over over my hobby any day.

Perhaps queen rearing is a long way off for this ambitious beginner anyway!
    Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
    Perhaps queen rearing is a long way off for this ambitious beginner anyway!
    Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express
    On the contrary! I think everyone should have a go. It is not half as complicated as some people would have you believe and if you work with a few other local beekeepers it can be great craic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
    Cheers folks. Wasn't meaning to sound disparaging towards any other forum, it's just my fear of it being a daft question that stop me asking questions usually!

Have three colonies at the moment, one local swarm I was given and two not so local colonies that I purchased. Medium term goal is to overwinter another 1 or 2 nucs headed by a local (either bred from my local bees or bought in from somewhere) queen. Reason for wanting the extra colonies is to give me more flexibility next year and maybe even a chance at some honey! I have the feeling this is a bit ambitious for a beginner though!
    Rosco

I started keeping bees 3 years ago. Overwintered nucs are a must in my view - to replace dead colonies/queens. And make a few £s to offset costs.!:-) Started nucs 2 years ago.

Started queen rearing in earnest this year. Would have last but weather too bad. Miller method : can't graft due to poor eyesight and delerium tremens - sorry old age - affecting steadiness of hand...

Highly recommend a simple method like Miller for starters...

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Any pictures? And not just of Bridget's discomfort!
    I recon Bridget took a load of pictures . Perhaps we can encourage her to post a few. Mine aren't good enough i'm afraid.

Hi Rosco
    I'm on the wrong coast to really be able to advise
    Over here the rape is finishing and I would be concentrating on getting the wax drawn out
    I can be slow getting wax drawn

Bees like to go up so you are better with two broodboxes each with 6 frames and wide spacers at either side
    Putting the frames of foundation above the broodnest where its warm suits them best
    Unless there is a nectar flow they may not work foundation at the sides of a single broodbox
    I wouldn't put a super below the brood box myself as I don't think they will draw wax in that position

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Hi Rosco
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....
    I wouldn't put a super below the brood box myself as I don't think they will draw wax in that position

I thought perhaps he had been advised to put the BB over the other box, to get the brood frames well drawn down to the bottom bars. He has mentioned the one and a half box system and that maneuver would not be unknown there. I wonder how adequate and how constant is the nectar flow in his area? It might be helpful to feed a small quantitty of 1:1, if the nectar flow is small or irregular.
    I thrust you will not deem it impertinent of me to say so, but your advice was excellent.

That's very kind of you Dark Bee

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Any pictures? And not just of Bridget's discomfort!
    I was too engrossed in listening and learning, and forgot to take pictures. The one I took does nobody justice. I enjoyed the course despite the weather.
    Kitta