Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Queen rearing pics

Blog Entries

Good luck with your mini-plus's - it would be interesting to read of your experiences using them.
    Likewise. I have no experience with these at all.

SAM_1287.jpgSAM_1004.jpgSAM_0959.jpg

I've written before about the mini-plus hives (Lyson version); over all they're excellent boxes which winter well here in the South as single box units although I do feel there are advantages to having them in double boxes during the Spring.

I've made my own version of the hive out of wood (presently trialling mrk2) the first ones of which not only stood side by side with the poly boxes through last year's dreary Summer but equally, wintered as well. The only advantage of the home made ones is that they cost less than five pounds each even when new materials are used and (in the case of mrk2) take three nucs per box -albeit only on four combs.

SAM_1351.jpg

Built from OSB3 -a very different beast than OSB2!
    Last edited by prakel; 20-07-2014 at 12:39 PM.

Hi Prakel
    http://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/mini-bee...s-mating-hive/
    these look great wish I had paid more attention earlier
    Thanks a lot for the tip
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 06-07-2013 at 11:58 AM.

SAM_0957.jpgSAM_0976 (2).jpgSAM_1307.jpgSAM_1340.jpgSAM_1348.jpg

a couple more mini plus photos and one of our three-way boxes.
    Last edited by prakel; 06-07-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Great stuff In pic number 2 and 3 the frame sides look black or painted in some way
    Is that a trade secret or just coincidental ?

I have made an apidea hybrid in 25mm celotex and am trialing it - no pics yet. Cost approx £3..

Last time I filled an apidea with the requisite bees and left 4 days in garage, about 40% died - stress I guess (our garage is used - as a garage!)

So this time, I sprayed the two sides of a brood comb, shook all the bees into a container and turfed them into the apidea clone, added QC and left in cool from 4pm to 9.30pm .. and then opened the entrance.

This morning, it looks like most of them are still there.. will leave to settle and have a look in a week's time.

DR - I have one of those (unused so far) and the frame sides are black plastic. I believe the design may have changed now to wooden side bars. On the whole I'm happier using apideas then the mini-plus nucs. Far fewer bees needed and in my opinion apideas are better designed than anything else out there.

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    DR - I have one of those (unused so far) and the frame sides are black plastic. I believe the design may have changed now to wooden side bars. On the whole I'm happier using apideas then the mini-plus nucs. Far fewer bees needed and in my opinion apideas are better designed than anything else out there.
    Thanks Drumgerry
    would one of these mini hive make it through a winter do you think

Quote Originally Posted by madasafish View Post
    I have made an apidea hybrid in 25mm celotex and am trialing it - no pics yet. Cost approx £3..

Last time I filled an apidea with the requisite bees and left 4 days in garage, about 40% died - stress I guess (our garage is used - as a garage!)

So this time, I sprayed the two sides of a brood comb, shook all the bees into a container and turfed them into the apidea clone, added QC and left in cool from 4pm to 9.30pm .. and then opened the entrance.

This morning, it looks like most of them are still there.. will leave to settle and have a look in a week's time.
    Being a bit behind the times
    At my cave I had never heard of cellotex
    But although they don't pay any tax those clever chaps a google know everything

I'm putting my faith in a tower block of apideas this winter DR. But I know of someone in milder parts of Speyside who wintered a mini-plus successfully a couple of years ago.