Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Security alert?

I had one yesterday from Gavin. Total cobblers b----y hackers.

Sorry folks,

I got a spam e-mail from Gavin last night but did not open the link and just deleted it. Then all hell broke loose and spam e-mails were sent to all the people on my contact list or had e-mails from in the past from. I have changed all my security settings and passwords so hopefully that should stop it.

Jimbo

Blog Entries

Default Security alert?

As a general piece of advice, knowing that password reuse is very common and that incredibly in this day and age some websites still store password information unencrypted, make sure that the password to your email account is different to the one(s) you use to log in to websites.

I recently had an admin of another site confirm to me he knew what my password was which means when they get hacked the hacker will get a list of a few thousand email addresses and passwords, about 60-75% of which if you believe the studies would get them access to that mail account.

Gmail users should enable the two factor login process. This gives you a specific password for each device (PC, iPad, phone etc) that are yours but requires a second password that can be text to you if you need to login from elsewhere.

I.e if I, or anyone else, tries to access my email account from a computer other than mine with my standard password I'll get a text asking me to enter a second password to validate that it's me.

Blog Entries

Is it true that the spammers can get in even if you don't click on the link? I can understand if the email was opened using a mail program that this might trigger something but thought webmail-based email was safer.

I followed the link ... very interesting and useful. My new Russian bride will be arriving at the weekend. I'll hide her in the same place I keep all the flat-packed brood boxes and supers.

Blog Entries

Default Security alert?

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    Is it true that the spammers can get in even if you don't click on the link? I can understand if the email was opened using a mail program that this might trigger something but thought webmail-based email was safer.
    Trog, the short answer is that it depends.

I would personally rather trust my mail client than any web browser to maintain the security of my account/password. I would definitely recommend that anyone who did click on the link run a full a scan as possible using their virus/malware utility of choice.

If you're running a legit copy of windows from XP onwards, Microsoft security essentials is as good as any and is free.

Try Linux as your operating system