Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Waspkeeping

Maybe "Kieth" is a phonetic spelling? As in "Ere Kieth we've run out of Typhoo teabags" (say it in your best Mick Jagger from Stella Street).

Orkney (it’s usually cool and windy but somehow the bees survive!)

I don’t think we should be too hard on Keith. Most of the people I know think bumble bees are honey bees and that honey bees are wasps, goodness knows what they think wasps are! Don’t dare anybody reply that I only know daft people.
    Lindsey Linzi Lyndsey Lynsey Lindsay

I think we've frightened him away.....I think we should make room for Waspism, in the of name of Equality (Sounding like the SNP now!!)

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

As I cleared the grasses from under a hive today I found a beautiful wasp nest full of eggs. I even saw the queen. Had I remembered about KIEth's interest in wasp-keeping, I might have been able to provide him with a nucleus wasp hive. Unfortunately, I only thought about my bees' well-being and quickly stepped on it. Sorry KIEth.
    Kitta

Kitta

The RSPCW have been informed
    Poor Kieth how must he be feeling ?
    How many caterpillars are going to escape justice now the wasps have gone ?
    P.s. you must trust your footware

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    As I cleared the grasses from under a hive today I found a beautiful wasp nest full of eggs. I even saw the queen. Had I remembered about KIEth's interest in wasp-keeping, I might have been able to provide him with a nucleus wasp hive. Unfortunately, I only thought about my bees' well-being and quickly stepped on it. Sorry KIEth.
    Kitta
    Shame, I hear wasp NUCs are selling for sky high prices this year?

Orkney (it’s usually cool and windy but somehow the bees survive!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    Kitta
    Here’s a link to the plight our friends the wasps are facing. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23356578
    I hope you are now feeling very guilty Kitta.

Blog Entries

Wasps I can cope with it's bloody clothes moths.

Default Waspkeeping

Buy synthetic
    WW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Default Kieth … I've cracked it

This thread is nearly a year old and I'm delighted to report I have a laying queen wasp. The advantage for beekeepers is that the system I have developed requires the use of standard equipment and very similar management techniques to those already employed.

Make a big stack of spare 'stuff' in an out of the way corner. Ignore it for weeks or months until you can't find the Horsley board*. Take the stack apart and - if you're lucky - you'll have a laying queen wasp in residence.

You can just see the developing larvae in the second photo.

Next … waspgrafting.

20140513-0010.jpg 20140513-0011.jpg

Please note, I've only tried this with National equipment. I'm hoping I can extend the technique to work with Langstroths and am looking for sponsorship from Mann Lake.

* doesn't have to be a Horsley board. It can be any relatively obscure board or cover, built during the long dark winter nights.