Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Waspkeeping

Default Waspkeeping

Hello all, I am new to the word of bee keeping and have some questions, specifically regarding the keeping of wasps. It appears waspkeeping is still not as popular as beekeeping, however a new generation of waspkeepers are bringing this hobby to the mainstream. I was unable to find a forum specifically for waspkeepers and hope you will be able to help me.

I would like to know if waspkeeping is similar to beekeeping; do wasps live in those white boxes bees live in? Do wasps produce an equivalent of honey or beeswax and if so how do I harvest this?

Many thanks

Keith

Wasps like a nice diet of caterpillar early in the year and sugary things in the Autumn
    The best place to keep them is in your loft that way they can visit you all over the house
    Wasps are a bit keener to sting so if you have arthritis you will be quids in
    Also wasps don't leave their sting in you, so they can always pop back and sting you again later if you like
    Wood wasps are a type of hornet. they get very large. and like pine logs to lay their eggs
    If you want to attract them buy a nice saw and chop down a few pine trees
    Don't get stung by these though, or arthritis will be the least of your worries
    You wont get any bees wax from wasps but they produce big paper nests which some artists will buy
    Alternatively they light the fire very well indeed
    Wasp honey and rocking horse droppings make popular breakfast cereal called CoCo Pops but the recipe is a secret
    Wasp boxes don't have to be white and neither do beehives that myth came from the Wizard of OZ film starring Judy Garland
    That was a very good film for anyone who is considering how to live in a fantasy world
    Anyway I digress
    Best of luck with the Wasps Keith they can often be trained to come to a jar of jam which might help get you started

Orkney (it’s usually cool and windy but somehow the bees survive!)

Hi Keith
    After picking myself up off the floor and checking it’s not the 1st of April I’ll suggest you do a few internet searches on wasps and their lifecycles. The only thing you will harvest from wasps is their stings and the wrath of your neighbourhood. Let us know how you get on.
    Last edited by lindsay s; 12-06-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lindsay s View Post
    Hi Keith
    After picking myself off the floor and checking it’s not the 1st of April I’ll suggest you do a few internet searches on wasps and their lifecycles. The only thing you will harvest from wasps is their stings and the wrath of your neighbourhood. Let us know how you get on.
    I thought I had covered it Lindsey but your right it's a huge subject, commercial wasp keeping

Wasps are for wimps.

Grow a pair and keep hornets.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    they produce big paper nests which some artists will buy
    Kinda like a poor man's sun hive/dung hive.
    There is good potential here for running courses and maybe penning a barefoot waspkeeper book.
    Damned good idea. Some people have made a decent living out of stuff like this.
    Get the jam jars primed.

I now sell the following items in season

wasps 50p each
    hornets 70p
    bees 35p

Mixed bag of bees,wasps and hornets £3-00
    (guaranteed not less than 3 hornets per bag)
    special offer 10 free ants with every order for a limited period only!!

Blog Entries

Have you any queens?
    Preferably local stock with the right wing venation.
    I think my nest has gone queenless as I have an itchy trigger finger and have killed about 20 in the garden in recent weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Have you any queens?
    Preferably local stock with the right wing venation.
    I think my nest has gone queenless as I have an itchy trigger finger and have killed about 20 in the garden in recent weeks.
    Sadly no I do have a number of large ants which might fit with the queen wing parts you have in stock

Blog Entries

If I was in the market for a large ant I would be posting on a large ant forum.