Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Scottish Bee Health Surveillance report

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    Oh and about the Paynes feeder. Because it's a permanent fixture I think it makes the system really inflexible. And before I got an eke (need to make ekes for the new ones - pics and link please Fatshark? ) I tried to feed fondant in it and that ended up in many dead bees and an unholy mess. I think I'd be happier with a removeable frame feeder and the option to go to 8 frames if needed.
    Here ... I see you've posted directly after it, so perhaps have seen it already.

Just a quick comment on a homemade Twinstock ... I use the thinnest ply divider possible to maximise heat transfer between them (and maximise the number if frames I can squeeze in on each side). I then use a sheet of thick plastic pinned along the top of the divider as a crown board. All that lies flat on the top of the frames ... followed by a thick block of Kingspan. I actually think Correx would be a good divider - easy to clean/replace, thin and pretty rigid - but tricky to fix my plastic to.

If I need to feed them I cut a small flap in the plastic and use a curry container upturned with fondant in it. All of this goes in a poly super with bubble wrap to take up the dead space. Then the Kingspan and roof.

Sorry Fatshark just sawit a wee while ago. I had imagined a thinner ply eke to fit flush with the sides of the nuc body but that wouldn't let the roof sit down properly would it? I think your solution is the only one that would work but is it a bit labour intensive creating that lip on the inside?

No, it's pretty straightforward. I just build a rectangular eke that fits on top of the lidless box, then an inner lip, spaced with a scrap of 3mm strip wood. Honestly, if I can do it, anyone can. Better.

Well I do have a table saw (the beekeeper's friend!) so no excuse really!

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    Well I do have a table saw (the beekeeper's friend!) so no excuse really!
    Yes and a full set of fingers (at the moment)