Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: which type of hive

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    They don't need painting (Paynes)
    But they look so much better for it! (until the lemongrass oil hits it of course .... )

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    there was a hodge podge of poly boxes ... all strapped together to stop them blowing over ...
    I don't think an occupied poly is much lighter than an occupied wooden hive, DR. But yes, some poly hives have roofs that can easily fly off. I strap all my hives down - wood and poly.
    (Bring back your avatar. Where has it gone?)
    Kitta

Blog Entries

Something like this should do it.

That's not how I remember Tonto Gavin!

And on the question of roofs. The crappy shallow wooden ones you get nowadays aren't good enough not to need something to keep them in place. Both polys and widdys get a brick in this hombre's apiary

I had a good look at at Paynes nuc at the association last week. That fixed feeder looks problematic (they may have changed it now).
    I refer the MB poly nucs. Separate floor, easier to clean. Mind you, they are langstroth, but some plyin the right places,they can be made into nationals.
    Having used nationals, l/s jumbo and standard l/ s my preference is for standard l/s. jumbos might be better further south.
    Yes those shallow roofs from main suppliers are a pain, not good if want to top insulate over the winter.

The fixed feeder in those Paynes poly nucs is a bee graveyard. I've butchered all mine to make eight frame nucs. Adam on the BBKA forum was the first I saw doing this. It feels odd taking a bread knife to a brand new poly box and you'd be surprised how easily the blood washes off.

Agreed,

Ive just started out and got 2 smith hives and they are great, real easy to use, although havent tried anything else yet.

Only thing i dont like about them is that there is nothing to keep them together and they seem to slide a bit and you cant strap them down as the lid sticks out. Otherwise a good hive.

Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    janeoh,

If you are a member of Glasgow beekeepers you are then automatically a member of Clyde Area Beekeepers Association (CABA)
    A number of CABA members started a bee breeding program (mainly Glasgow beekeeping members) to provide nucs to CABA members.
    Have you asked them for a nuc?
    No but hoping to go a trip soon with them, so I will give that a bash - thanks, Jane

Quote Originally Posted by hypostatic View Post
    Agreed,

Ive just started out and got 2 smith hives and they are great, real easy to use, although havent tried anything else yet.

Only thing i dont like about them is that there is nothing to keep them together and they seem to slide a bit and you cant strap them down as the lid sticks out. Otherwise a good hive.

Have fun
    That only happens when they are new
    After a while you need the hive tool to get them apart

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hypostatic View Post
    there is nothing to keep them together and they seem to slide a bit and you cant strap them down as the lid sticks out.
    Whilst waiting for the bees to stick the boxes together, these are very good, and easily attached/undone.They are also very useful for fixing the floor to the brood box.

http://www.icko-apiculture.com/fr/ca...esult/?q=DG420