Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: which type of hive

Default which type of hive

I'm going to start in 2014.forestry commission giving me a site near airdrie.is there any courses nearby for beginners. Where best to source first hive/type etc

Blog Entries

You could start a war asking what the best hive is

For an "easy" life though the simple answer is whatever hive type is most commonly used around you. In this neck of the woods it's the National so that is what we tend to recommend that people start with. It is definitely a question worth asking at the local beginner's course and I would also add, don't buy any equipment until you've had a chance to visit an apiary and get hands on with some bees. Not even cars depreciate as fast as a beehive bought in haste by someone who then decides they don't actually like beekeeping.

Default Re: which type of hive

And even more confusing is when you decide on hive type you may also think about poly instead of wood... But as has been said, weigh it up while getting hands on first

Buy a Smith hive they are best
    Lol! there's a target on my back now

Top and bottom bee space hives?
    I like top bee space myself but some things like Queen excluders (which you will need) cost more
    Also Smith hives for instance have short lugs on the frames unlike the National Hive

Easiest start is to buy a full size hive locally with bees in it and collect from the seller

[QUOTE=The Drone Ranger;18482]Buy a Smith hive they are best

I happily endorse Mr Rangers choice of hive, excellent size for black bees and easy to construct if you feel like doing so.
    There was also a Smythe hive in days gone by.

Default Rarer than hens teeth

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Buy a Smith hive they are best

Top and bottom bee space hives?
    I like top bee space myself but some things like Queen excluders (which you will need) cost more
    Also Smith hives for instance have short lugs on the frames unlike the National Hive

Easiest start is to buy a full size hive locally with bees in it and collect from the seller
    I have made enqueries from local beekeepers in Glasgow & South Lanarkshire but had no luck in getting bee's. Hence the other thread on trying to catch some. Bee's seem to be rarer than hens teeth due to either heavy losses some people are experiencing or increase in demand. Boo hoo

janeoh,

If you are a member of Glasgow beekeepers you are then automatically a member of Clyde Area Beekeepers Association (CABA)
    A number of CABA members started a bee breeding program (mainly Glasgow beekeeping members) to provide nucs to CABA members.
    Have you asked them for a nuc?

Quote Originally Posted by janeoh View Post
    I have made enqueries from local beekeepers in Glasgow & South Lanarkshire but had no luck in getting bee's. Hence the other thread on trying to catch some. Bee's seem to be rarer than hens teeth due to either heavy losses some people are experiencing or increase in demand. Boo hoo
    Fingers crossed after oil seed rape some folk might sell a hive or two

i've been close enough to still want to have a good go.i know someone who has 2 hives,helped with small chores.feeding etc.... a wee bit of a distance away so not there that often.had thought i would start with 2 nationals nxt spring.looking to attend a couple of courses.what do you all recommend?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Fingers crossed after oil seed rape some folk might sell a hive or two
    Maybe not near Glasgow though. After the sycamore perhaps.

Still worth putting out a bait hive.