Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Absconding bees from Apidea

Blog Entries

You only have to spray with water when the apidea is closed up as they don't have a water source.

Fondant, syrup or even just sugar poured in and wetted a bit are all fine in the feeder.
    The queen can't get into the feeder due to the excluder slot so don't worry about drowning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    You only have to spray with water when the apidea is closed up as they don't have a water source.

Fondant, syrup or even just sugar poured in and wetted a bit are all fine in the feeder.
    The queen can't get into the feeder due to the excluder slot so don't worry about drowning.
    Oops, I don't think I put that in, a little plastic grill? Is it essential to use it?

Quote Originally Posted by beejazz View Post
    Oops, I don't think I put that in, a little plastic grill? Is it essential to use it?
    If you knead icing sugar with a little honey and make a very stiff "dough" and if possible give it a day or two or more to mature. Then place it in a preferably lined, feeding compartment of an Apidea, there will be no spillage when the apidea is turned upside down to load and no deaths by drowning. It is not of course the only way of doing business and as always - whatever works for you...

Blog Entries

Yes, because they will build comb in the feeder and the queen will lay in it.
    If you use liquid feed the queen could drown in it.
    Apideas are very well designed and every part has its function.

Ok, I'll find the exc. and put it on, making sure the VQ is not in the feeder! DB, I have some honey left over from last year, and icing sugar, I'll make some up for my next attempt at Q rearing. Thanks guys for your helpful advice, much appreciated.

Ok, I'll find the exc. and put it on, making sure the VQ is not in the feeder! DB, I have some honey left over from last year, and icing sugar, I'll make some up for my next attempt at Q rearing. Thanks guys for your helpful advice, much appreciated.
    Thank you for your vote of confidence - you have done wonders for my self esteem. If I may trespass even further on your tolerance, can I suggest that you warm the honey slightly before kneading and use only the smallest amount possible, otherwise it runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Bee View Post
    Thank you for your vote of confidence - you have done wonders for my self esteem. If I may trespass even further on your tolerance, can I suggest that you warm the honey slightly before kneading and use only the smallest amount possible, otherwise it runs.
    Thanks, will do

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Yes, because they will build comb in the feeder and the queen will lay in it.
    If you use liquid feed the queen could drown in it.
    Apideas are very well designed and every part has its function.
    Well they've gone and done it, built comb in the feeder. Question is, do I remove it or leave them to it, since I'm not feeding them liquid food. I'm not that confident of finding the VQ let alone picking her out of the feeder compartment. The bees seem a bit tetchy, I'm inclined to leave them to it unless there is a particular reason to remove it asap? Please advise!

I would remove the wild comb and install Qx, otherwise how are you going to feed them. It is a virgin queen so no eggs or maggots will be lost.

Blog Entries

Check that the queen is on one of the 3 frames. If you find her there, just scrape out the comb from the feeder and put the excluder slot in its place to keep her on the right side.
    If you can't find the queen, leave it a while and try again later. Don't scrape out the comb if there is a possibility the queen is in there. As DB says, she wont be laying yet but you don't want to accidentally remove her with the hive tool.