Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: should bee poo smell?

Default should bee poo smell?

I inspected a colony today and noticed the bees in that hive were even more jittery than usual, they are like little jitterbugs, on the comb, and quite defensive. That could have been because of the cool weather. After tidying up I had a smear of bee poo on my gloves, it had a really strong pungent smell. I had never noticed before that bee poo had a particular odour, but this smell was bordering on offensive! The poo looked normal, yellowish, not brown and runny. Hope this is not a symptom of any bee diseases, nosema?

Hi BJazz
    Is this one half of the split you made ?

No, poly hive, my stongest hive coming out of winter, brood and a half, I wanted to demarree the hive yesterday, 1st time I've attempted to do that, but couldn't find the Q! She's 2 years old, but no sign of swarming yet, except for bees polishing play cups. That poo smell was so strong I thought I had picked up some other animals poo, could be dandelions? There's a lot about on the allotments.

Quote Originally Posted by beejazz View Post
    No, poly hive, my stongest hive coming out of winter, brood and a half, I wanted to demarree the hive yesterday, 1st time I've attempted to do that, but couldn't find the Q! She's 2 years old, but no sign of swarming yet, except for bees polishing play cups. That poo smell was so strong I thought I had picked up some other animals poo, could be dandelions? There's a lot about on the allotments.
    BJazz
    Can't say on the smell if the whole hive smells that's a worrying problem
    if it's just your gloves maybe that's only a laundry problem
    If the queen is there and laying there will be eggs
    Often the queen is hard to find especially if the bees are running around
    Not too much smoke is best if you want to look for her

Is there a beekeeping buddy you can get over to the allotments ?
    I find a lift there, and a couple of bottles of beer will lure most old codgers to the hive
    Once they have checked things are ok you don't have to take them home again just show them the bus stop

Sorry I haven't been much help
    I would say it's best not to worry too much
    Join the local association and poke around in their hives
    If there is a bee diseases course jump on it you will be an expert then (not )

Quite likely to be from dandelion honey or something similar. If the bees are active and have plenty of brood, the smell is unlikely to be foul brood - that smell is due to secondary infection and occurs when the colony is on it's way out. If you can't find the queen, brush all the bees into the new bottom brood box and cover with a QX., she has to be there then
    If your bees have nosema/dysentry it should clear radidly when they are flying freely. What is the latest update?

Hi DR, not a laundry problem I think, I only use nitrile gloves, and rinse them after each hive in a solution of soda.
    Dark Bee I think, too, it is probably dandelion, well, hope so. Thanks for the 'brushing the bees idea', basically a shook swarm then, but keeping all the brood? Sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by beejazz View Post
    Hi DR, not a laundry problem I think, I only use nitrile gloves, and rinse them after each hive in a solution of soda.
    Dark Bee I think, too, it is probably dandelion, well, hope so. Thanks for the 'brushing the bees idea', basically a shook swarm then, but keeping all the brood? Sounds good.
    I prefer a snelgrove board to demaree because I'm a lazy devil and I don't want to be lifting boxes up and down moving brood etc
    Just opening and closing little doors in sequence is easier by far
    What kind of allotments are you running down there when the bees can collect all this dandelion honey ?

Blog Entries

Gavin's becoming something of an expert on bee poo ... I'm sure he'll be along soon! (and yes, it can smell quite strong if you get a good dollop of it on you!)

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    Gavin's becoming something of an expert on bee poo ... I'm sure he'll be along soon! (and yes, it can smell quite strong if you get a good dollop of it on you!)
    And demarree apparently, so that covers all the bases

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    Can't say that I've ever noticed much of a pong from bee poo, although there was some smelly stuff once from a hive in the association apiary that was using fermented stores which hadn't been properly capped the previous autumn.

Dandelions though, they do make somewhat of an unpleasant aroma around the bee hive. This seems to be a dandelion year, at least in these parts. Every few years there is a larger than usual profusion of them but I can't put my finger on the factors bringing it about. Poor weather at flowering time in the previous year perhaps?

Nice of DR to gloss over Beejazz' faux-pas. He really isn't PolyHive! I can't tell from where I'm sitting whether DR would be flattered or appalled at the thought of being confused with PH.