Thread: traveling nucs

Default traveling nucs

Hey all, anyone got 2 traveling nucs i can borrow for a couple of days.

Im collecting bees in county durham next sunday and im 2 short for the bees.

If you can help me call: 07787796001 or 01501-744817

Many thanks in advance

Dave

Can you make a correx nuc? http://www.sbai.org.uk/sbai_forum/sh...ghlight=correx There's a 'how to' in post #9.

Blog Entries

Mine are not ideal travel boxes though, as the frames do not fit tight and could swing around a lot in transit.
    I have used them to move bees a few miles without any problem but a longer journey might be asking for trouble.

Nor are the ones I made, a few measurement were awry. But if the frames were fastened together and held in place with a lump of insulation it would be better than nothing. As long as the queen is caged. Ventilation could be a problem too.

Blog Entries

Most of mine have mesh floors now so the ventilation is ok.
    The correx boxes sold by Easy Bee are proper travel boxes which take 5 hoffman frames which are very tight fitting.
    Might be able to scrounge one of those if someone admits to having bought a nuc headed by a Slovenian queen at some point in the past!

When you travel, have the frames aligned with the direction of travel and not positioned across the vehicle. In the latter position they would be forever swinging as you braked /accelerated. As someone has already said pack a piece of sponge or foam between the frames and box side and that helps prevent movement. Ventilation, preferably at the top of box is essential. If it is a long journey, spray some water into the box, block the entrance hole completely with foam, travel by night if necessary and be clear when you are collecting them - arriving mid morning on a sunny day and not too many will be at home Good Luck.

thats cool, i have some corex, might be worth trying to built what i need. thanks man