Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Bees with resistance to varroa mites

Looking at a varroa floor this morning while the bees were flying busily as if summer
    Must be talking about his inland colonies. I can assure you that there were no bees flying on the 'rock' this morning -unless they were clinging to the hive as that took off!

Hi chaps
    Snow here today so no flying or anything like that
    When it comes to varroa collection trays, any that have gaps will let all sorts of clean up insects in
    Some folk thinking there was no natural drop were surprised to find lots of varroa when they treated
    The headless bees are being eaten and probably got there while finding tasty items themselves
    Likewise any dead varroa are going the same way
    If I saw live varroa with some missing bits it would be more convincing than a legless corpse

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

I might be guilty of this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
    But I try to not to bee (sic)

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Just noticed this clip elsewhere about Ron Hoskins' work and super infection exclusion

http://treatmentfreebeekeepers.co.uk...rvation-group/

Blog Entries

Yep - I mentioned super infection exclusion for DMV a while back. So no more varroa treatment with OA then, better start selecting for VSH !

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Just noticed this clip elsewhere about Ron Hoskins' work and super infection exclusion

http://treatmentfreebeekeepers.co.uk...rvation-group/
    Some dubious comments on other pages of that website. The sort of stuff that's likely to lead to beginners of a certain persuasion ending up feeling very sorry for themselves. Generally an odd mix of useful stuff such as a take-off of the sustainable apiary philosophy tempered with a gung-ho live or let die approach.

Another Kent beekeeper called Mike with interesting views; must be something in the honey.

As for:

The next stage seems to me to require dissemination of his bees amongst other treatment free beekeepers to see how they perform away from his carefully controlled conditions.
    Probably quite right but I wouldn't hold my breath as there seems to be a long waiting list.

You wouldn't actually need any of rons queens ...just some sort of way to inoculate your hive with his dwv strain... I have heard of human fecal transplant what about honeybee hive detritus transplant? Or a varroa swap? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by brothermoo View Post
    You wouldn't actually need any of rons queens ...just some sort of way to inoculate your hive with his dwv strain... I have heard of human fecal transplant what about honeybee hive detritus transplant? Or a varroa swap? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You might be thinking of Yakult brothermoo that contains poo extract (yum)

I'm still in "the only good varroa is a dead varroa camp" but I can see that DWV which doesn't deform wings might be good

Harmless Deformed Wing Virus -- is that an oxymoron ?
    I will be a minor miracle if it is

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Harmless Deformed Wing Virus -- is that an oxymoron ?
    Varroa-free bees - have detectable DWV but rare (if any) deformed wing disease. This has been reported a number of times. The virus was also first identified in UK bees before Varroa was introduced to the UK. In the absence of the mite DWV isn't a problem for bees. Sure, a very few might get sick, perhaps because they have defective immune responses or whatever, but the large-scale carnage seen by uncontrolled mite transmission is absent.

More recently Schroeder and Martin have reported a 'harmless' strain which appears almost the same as the original Varroa Destructor Virus type 1 first published back in 2004 by Monique van Oers.

Blog Entries