Hi Gavin, Eric, Doris.
As you know, I have spent a considerable slice of the last 20 years working in Mexico.
One of the things that gets my goat is the complete lack of regulation over natural cures and foods claimed to have special medicinal properties.
A regular feature of life there is someone getting on the bus to do a sales pitch on some potion, powder or mixture of herbs which he claims will cure everything from flatulence to cancer.
The sales pitch is ridiculous but there are always two or three passengers who hand over hard earned money to buy this wonder cure. It is generally people who can't afford to bring a sick child or family member to a doctor. Their ignorance and poverty is being exploited.
I have seen ads on the telly for a product called 'Fataway after eating' which claims that if you take a sachet of this stuff, you can eat as much as you like and it will 'dissolve' the fat leading to no weight gain.
Mexico has the highest rate of type two diabetes in the world so this is not a good message to give out.
Anyone who claims that propolis cures cancer is a conman and should be stopped in his tracks. A hefty fine usually does the trick.
I for one am glad that I live in a jurisdiction where there is control over false or overstated claims for natural products and I speak as someone 100% committed to organic food production.
A society without rules and regulations is tantamount to anarchy.