Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Cost of a Nuc Hive

Blog Entries

If someone dumped used hives at my apiary uninvited I'd let them know that they would be burned as a health hazard if not removed immediately!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    Jon your Dad must be a patient man to put up with that. They'd get short shrift from me.
    I would not entertain that behaviour either.
    I know others who get similar treatment and it is the same duffers cadging bees off them every spring.
    All they are interested in is getting a few supers of honey at the end of the summer but they don't seem to know how to manage the bees.

I think that a lot of start-ups over the last few years have been kneejerk reactions (by people who otherwise would never want to go near a bee hive)
    Prakel, I bet you had a mental picture of a fluorescent plastic beehaus when you wrote that!

I sell a few nucs at £120 inc the box. Overwintered ones are a bit more. (Maybe I should have charged a LOT more this year!).
    If someone doesn't want the box, they can bring a hive and put the bees in there whilst they inspect them. (Inspections encouraged). Collection can occur a few days later, one evening. The hive must be clean (often it's new) and they are asked not to bring gloves; I have disposables.

Local election day today- maybe I can find some correx. As long as it doesn't have Nigel Farrage staring out. That would be quite offputting. Need to go around the back of the "Fallen Angels" nightclub and see if they have any old publicity boards.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    ... and make a few of these ... About £2 should cover it, 50p if you can live without the mesh floor or the insulation.
    You clearly know of a convenient source of free correx, Jon. I've searched around a lot and only found a few scraps from B&Q and they've now stopped using it - so no more from there.
    Kitta

Sorry - I thought I've reached the end of the thread. I can now see you've replied to the same question: a convenient supply of election posters. K.
    Last edited by Mellifera Crofter; 02-05-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Blog Entries

A guy from my BKA went round to one of the election offices and collected several hundred which measured 48 inches by 32.
    they are glad to get rid of them.
    The nucs I make need a template 40 by 32.
    The base is 18 by 10 and the sides 11 inches high.

correx-nuc-template.jpg

The travelling boxes which Thornes make are quite a nice design and would be dirt cheap to replicate.

Prakel, I bet you had a mental picture of a fluorescent plastic beehaus when you wrote that!

Some years ago I just used to close up a hive and then have the person collect it
    Once they transferred the bees and frames they brought the empty brood box back
    Weather would intervene and sometimes a couple of months went by but the boxes always came back eventually
    Since the foulbroud problems in Perthshire and Angus it's too risky to do that

Blog Entries

It was Keith Pierce from Dublin who put the idea in my head about letting the beginner keep the nuc and adding it on to the price of the package as he has been doing that for a while with his nuc sales. It removes the hassle of trying to get the box back as well as any disease risk. A beekeeper always needs a spare nuc box or two anyway and when the first swarm arrives there will be somewhere to put it into temporarily.
    If you buy the Payne nucs 30 or more at a time in the sale each nuc plus eke costs £20.50 carriage free and the normal price is £39.50 plus carriage.

Lol !
    30 nucs that would last me a while
    Much better price though
    pouring rain today agin!! dagnamit!

Blog Entries

I bought 63 in the sale but only kept 2 for myself as they were distributed among association members.
    Economy of scale and all that.