Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Large scale imports of bees into Scotland

http://www.nuffieldinternational.org...ted_report.pdf
    Good report author is a fairly large commercial beekeeper

note P23
    "one off subsidy for the commercial sector"

p27
    "Keep your eyes on a trial by P J Stirling Ltd whereby bees are delivering fungicides reduce the spraying need for botrytis"

P28
    "A study was carried out at the New York Experimental Station between 1994 and 1997
    which showed that fungicide delivered by bees reduced spraying by half and increased seeds in the
    strawberries by 22% and the fruit weight between 26% and 40% more than berries in non-visited
    treatments."

"This is something we will trial with the farm next year and will investigate whether there is any funding for a properly controlled evaluation."

Anybody heard anything about this ?
    Are bees in commercial operations being considered as carriers of fungicides to flowering fruit ?

From reports I heard today I think about £200,000 of (packaged) bees have just been imported in the last couple of days.

[A rather noteworthy comment I thought, so I've placed this part of fatshark's post into the relevant thread. The whole post is still in the 'Varroa-free queens' thread which was on the topic of a request for a queen in an apparently Varroa-free area. I should just add that my understanding was that the £200k subsidised imports would be spread over two seasons. G.]
    Last edited by gavin; 25-05-2013 at 08:12 AM.