Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nectar?

Blog Entries

Default Nectar?

Could someone out there please tell me how you can tell when the ladies are bringing in nectar at this time of the year? This with a view to it not being a good idea, to go into colony too often, in order to check things this early in the year?

Blog Entries

Just a whizzing of busy bees, to and fro. Generally some will be bringing pollen, but if there is a busy, fast, preoccupied flying in and out then there's something up. Gathering water doesn't get them quite so excited or bring them out in numbers.

Blog Entries

This is possibly where I make a tit of myself, but I'm told that bees flying head down/body up are flying "empty" while bees flying the otherway round are "full", hopefully of nectar. I'd be a liar if I claimed to have spent a great deal of time trying to observe this.

Blog Entries

Neil, how could you possibly make a 'tit' of yourself and anyway I am obviously doing the same by asking questions that either everyone except I knows the answer to, or no one has a clue except for our administrator.

I shall go and do some observing - head down = high winds or empty. Head up = brakes on or full load. Intriguing and thanks.
    POPZ

Blog Entries

If there is a really good nectar flow on you can smell it, especially in the evening when the bees are evaporating off the water content. If you get a warm evening in October you can smell the ivy nectar before you even get up to the hive. Pungent stuff.

Blog Entries

Just wait for the blackcurrant to flower (soon); you'll know if they're bringing that nectar in if you wander near the hive on a calm evening. As for clover on a warm midsummer's evening ... I can't stay away from the hives then as the scent is heavenly.

I have wondered about the same thing before, and my husband asked me this yesterday - I hope he was impressed by my being able to tell him (thanks Gavin!!!).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by POPZ View Post
    Neil, how could you possibly make a 'tit' of yourself and anyway I am obviously doing the same by asking questions that either everyone except I knows the answer to, or no one has a clue except for our administrator.

I shall go and do some observing - head down = high winds or empty. Head up = brakes on or full load. Intriguing and thanks.
    POPZ
    Just because it's one of those "Someone said...." situations and it's not unheard of for me to take things at face value that maybe I shouldn't

Blog Entries

Interesting !

Willow has been giveing both pollen and nectar for 7 days now, check out your nearest willows, you see the bees with stretched abdomins and pollen too.

L.

Ps. all the other insects visiting it is a sign there getting something,and yes Jon you can smell it from the ones storeing it.
    Last edited by linchpin; 13-04-2010 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Had the time..

Blog Entries

Up and posting before 6am LP?! I see that we have all types on the forum!

Do you ever get willow honey? I'm helping set up an association apiary and if anywhere could yield a few frames of willow honey, that site could.

Haven't had a chance yet to look out for Nellie's bee attitude nectar indicator, but I will.