Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Winter loss survey 2012/2013

When I had pure (?) Carniolans in 2010-11 they survived -18C winters well. All my bee types survive winter well no signs of differentiation whether mongrel/Buckfast hybrid or plan mongrel. Never had Italians so can't comment on them.

I suspect apart from Italians, little practical differences.. And they are already largely known imo.

Blog Entries

Default Winter loss survey 2012/2013

I wouldn't think that looking into this is a short term issue. If your imported bees have a lower chance of survival (whether imported from outwith Scotland or the local area) then it is certainly something people could take into consideration when sourcing their bees. Looking at the race of the bees would be really interesting but could only be compared on a fair basis that they are equally acclimatised to the area.

If you suffer a higher rate of import losses than from those colonies sourced locally, then would the higher honey yeilds be significant enough to compensate for the higher loss of colonies?

The NBU are notified of all imports from outwith the UK so there is data being kept.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

Anything that includes colony losses in their first year is short term and in my oppinion, worthless; I even include nucs made up for sale with home bred bees in this. Way too many variables starting with the individual beekeepers.

Also, what value would such data be if imported colonies were proven to fare better under skilled management while local bees 'survive' inspite of bad management. Just one possible outcome of such research.

If you suffer a higher rate of import losses than from those colonies sourced locally
    I'd hazard a guess that a great many locally sourced colonies and queens soon perish in the hands of bad beekeepers in the same manner as the imported queens which are unfortunate enough to be bought by people who have more surplus cash than brains.
    Last edited by prakel; 12-04-2013 at 08:10 AM.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Interesting video, Drone Ranger. We were driving through a similar sand storm near Macduff the other day - just red all around us and no visibility. Right now I think I live in The Desert of Aberdeenshire. Sand storms; no forage ... What are the bees to do?
    Kitta

Hi Mellifera Crofter

Weather is strange but sandstorms are a new one on me

I've spoken to a couple of beekeepers this year and both had lost all or most of their bees
    wonder how the losses survey will turn out

I wonder how late it will be before we know how well our colonies are really doing. At beginning of march (checking feed) I had one strong colony and two reasonable ones. In them yesterday (balmy Ayrshire sun - 15°C)-now one strong colony & two weak ones - a lot of dead bees on floors - one has old queen so not unexpected but the other has a young queen and I think there were just not enough bees to see them through 6 weeks of cold weather and even now they are struggling to forage and keep brood warm.