Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Slugs in hives

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    I wonder if the owner of the handsome scottie down town would understand if I greeted it with, "Beam me up"?

Can anyone remember how the conversation turned from slugs in hives to dogs, not-in-hives?

[back on topic] I expect the slugs have all slithered back inside the hives, given the cold weather ...
    Fairs fair we did have a spell on horses as well

Blog Entries

Yes, good lord, it would be ridiculous to go straight from slugs to dogs without passing via horses.

and the occasional reference to pies ,Tesco ,orang utangs and other animals to which I would like to add Koala
    While not known for speed they are pretty good tree climbers

[back on topic] I expect the slugs have all slithered back inside the hives, given the cold weather ...
    They won't have done, not unless they had built up local resistance to little blue pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Bee View Post
    It is now officially just known as a "dobermann" and is allegedly the only breed named after a person.
    I knew somebody who bred a dog called Brian. He was a heinz type of dog, but he was named after a person all the same. Does that count? Didn't climb trees though, just stood near them every so often and boosted the soil fertility.

Quote Originally Posted by beesinthezoo View Post
    slugs and snails need it damp to survive
    I have noticed, even in the heat of Texas, our honey bees benefit most in full sun. Perhaps moving the bees to a brighter location. This is challenging, as you must keep in mind the circumference bees travel. I always pitch my langstroth hives slightly forward to help with drainage of water.

Quote Originally Posted by austintexasbeewrangler View Post
    I have noticed, even in the heat of Texas, our honey bees benefit most in full sun. Perhaps moving the bees to a brighter location. This is challenging, as you must keep in mind the circumference bees travel. I always pitch my langstroth hives slightly forward to help with drainage of water.
    Hi there
    Down in texas you might have more to worry about than slugs though
    Are the africanised bees gradually working their way up from the south and causing you problems ?

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by austintexasbeewrangler View Post
    I have noticed, even in the heat of Texas, our honey bees benefit most in full sun. ...
    Yes, I've noticed that. Up here on my hill I had to choose between wind or sun and chose the first. I now think I should move them towards the sun and just keep the the hives nearer to ground level to protect them from the wind or keep the varroa trays in. The trees only provide wind protection from one direction anyway.

The occasional slug is not a problem. I've seen them turned into 'biltong' (or jerky). Made me wonder whether they were stung to death.
    Kitta

My bees aren't brave enough to sting these huge slugs. Still getting them, but they're tucking themselves in the groove beneath the frame lugs now.

Only one hive is affected, it's annoying. They make so much slime that they're making the frames mouldy.

I haven't used Hive Clean it's a powder like Exomite Apis was
    The Exomite stuff discourages wasps from trying to get into nuc entrances
    Maybe slugs wouldn't cross it to get in the hive

Blog Entries

Default Slugs in hives

Alternatively get the hives on wooden stands and use grease bands on the legs?

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk