Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Slugs in hives

Thanks for the ideas.

They are either leopard or tiger slugs. They are revolting and repulsive, and would be harmless if it wasn't for the amount of slime they produce. It's making the frames wet.

We've always had a problem with slugs inthe garden. There's always a heavy dew after even the hottest day, so slugs and snails will happily slither across broken eggshells, sand, coffee grinds and wood ash on their way to a meal. I think they eat vaseline for breakfast.

This hive is on a wooden stand, made of roughsawn timber. None of the others, including the adjacent hive which is sitting on a couple of plastic bread trays, are affected so maybe it's something about the colony or the hive itself that's attracting them. I have no idea what it could be because they're all swienty poly and the bees are local mongrels.

Unless slugs can shred themselves to pass through the varroa mesh they have to be getting in through the entrance. I've bought a strip of copper that's meant to protect flowerpots. I'm going to nail it right round the floor, in an unbroken band, to see if it works.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    .................................................. ........... It can force its way into areas where I would have thought it impossible - so what chance to the bees have with a big huge open floor underneath them. I lost only one hive out of eleven this winter - maybe keeping the varroa trays in helped them.

Kitta
    My thoughts entirely Kitta, the wind may be cold and it may be violent, but it will reduce dampness which I believe is a major contributory factor in the demise or poor performance of bees in some areas / locations, for instance in woods. Heating a first floor room which has the floor removed and the ground floor open to the elements is obviously going to be difficult to anyone with common sense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    - maybe keeping the varroa trays in helped them.
    Kitta
    Kitta, I changed to omf's when I had chalkbrood problems and was trying to clear things up. Omf, tray out, plus overhead insulation means dry combs and so supposedly healthier bees. The downside is greater honey/candy consommation, with the risk of starvation without constant intervention, and a slower spring build up.
    I have now come back to solid wooden floors. I think there is a balance between dryness and warmth that has to be found, and this obviously varies according to the very local climate of the apiary.I don't believe there is any hard and fast rule. I have drilled 2 holes at the back of the floor of 5 cm. diameter, and covered these with wire mesh. For my position, this gives a good balance. And, of course,I don't need the omf for varroa control.