Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Slugs in hives

Default Slugs in hives

Checking the fondant situation today, one colony had a large slug stretched out along the crown board between each frame. That's at least 8 slugs in one hive - I couldn't see the whole length of the frames because there's fondant on top of the crown board. (Won't do that again!) The slugs are huge, probably about 6 inches long.

I'm guessing they got in through the entrance, while the bees weren't looking.

I decided to leave them, until it's warm enough to meddle with inside the hives, but now I'm wondering if I should have made the effort to remove them today.

Blog Entries

I'm not sure that they do any harm but it certainly has a yuck factor to find them in there. By the time you put supers on they'll be elsewhere. I pick them off when I find them but I'm sure that they find their way back.

I'm glad it's nothing too unusual. Hopefully they will go away on their own.

I've seen tiny ones before, but never these giant ones. I think they're Leopard or Tiger slugs. The yuk factor is around 150%!

Default Re: Slugs in hives

I found a dead snail entombed in wax at the bottom of a frame last year. I guess it was moving that slowly the bees built around it hehe

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    Checking the fondant situation today, one colony had a large slug stretched out along the crown board between each frame. That's at least 8 slugs in one hive - I couldn't see the whole length of the frames because there's fondant on top of the crown board. (Won't do that again!) The slugs are huge, probably about 6 inches long.

I'm guessing they got in through the entrance, while the bees weren't looking.

I decided to leave them, until it's warm enough to meddle with inside the hives, but now I'm wondering if I should have made the effort to remove them today.
    You might want to look at the hives ventilation as slugs and snails need it damp to survive. Condensation may be buildling up in the hive hence so many slugs.

It's a poly hive with an open mesh floor, on an open stand about 18 inches high. Polycarbonate crown board with fondant above. Good top insulation.

It's been very wet, much of the ground is waterlogged but there isn't anything we can do about it. Slugs are about the only thing we've managed to grow in the past twelve months. There's no point in trying to move them elsewhere, everywhere within miles is wet.

In this situation would you increase ventilation by raising the crown board?

@ Ely - waxed snails. Would there be a market for those?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    .................................................. ........@ Ely - waxed snails. Would there be a market for those?
    Call the product "Escarcot Cire" and yes there will be a market for them

Default Re: Slugs in hives

I'm sure the french would eat them.

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

Only those that run more slowly than Irish race horses.

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Only those that run more slowly than Irish race horses.
    Why Irish race horses?
    A cursory inspection of the winners of all the major races going back however many years you choose, will show a disproportionate number to have originated here in Ireland. You might specifically like to check how many French horses have won the Grand National and Cheltenham It might be unkind to speculate how many have won the "Prix de arc de Triomphe!
    In fact you ought to ride an Irish hunter across a stiff piece of country yourself sometime and slow may not be what comes to your mind
    Last edited by Dark Bee; 13-04-2013 at 06:42 PM.