Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: A battle is raging....apparently!

So worm is JTF then Gavin? If so how many times is that now he's tried to register under a different user name?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    "but I could not
    find one single honeybee, bumblebee or
    hoverfly in my time among the roses. This
    leads me to suspect" I went at the wrong time of year

My italics
    I've never seen honeybees, bumblebees or hoverflies on HT or similar roses. Only on dog rose or rosa rugosa.
    I'm pretty sure Kew, like other tropical houses I've visited, use bioligical controls for insect pests. I've not been to Kew but I've visited less famous places and if they can afford to use bio controls, I'm sure Kew can. I grew a banana plant indoors once; it's an aphid magnet. I was so tempted to use a systemic pesticide but in the end put it outside for the natural pest controllers. It died in the greenhouse during a hard winter and I wasn't too sorry!

I used to grow regal pelargoniums and they attracted whitefly like fury
    Those things were resistant to all insecticides anyway so you had to sit with a tiny brush and some meths to treat their eggs on the underside of leaves

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    you had to sit with a tiny brush and some meths to treat their eggs on the underside of leaves
    That would be a fun job if you had a couple of hectares of pelargoniums.

Blog Entries

Whitefly? You just use those yellow sticky card thingies from an organic gardening catalogue. (Though I see Lakeland are now selling something similar). Worked a treat in my greenhouse down in England. We don't seem to get whitefly here; maybe they just can't fly against the wind!