Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: A battle is raging....apparently!

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Are you trying to say that we should be doing nothing to protect endangered species? Great Yellows anyone?!
    Just the suggestion that if we get it all wrong for us, something will probably carry on.
    My current preference,which I assume most of us share, is that we don't mess up too quickly.
    Whether the bees will go before us, or whether it matters, is a cute philosophical question.
    But I think the solution is more in our hands than in our bees' hands,maybe....

(ok they don't have hands, or foetuses)
    Last edited by worm (JTF3); 09-04-2013 at 07:05 PM.

Look,Gavin, you could ban me if you want, but are my occassional 'challenging' or 'insulting' comments so bad?
    I've worked for 40 years to set up a 'sustainable' healthy place to produce food ,live, and not wreck the wildlife set-up.
    It's not an easy thing to get right, especially after last year's crap weather.
    The people I challenge are all big boys. I don't really see my agenda as being opposed to any other individual's.How could it be?

Blog Entries

Where do you keep your bees worm and how have they overwintered?
    I will take your previous comment at face value that you are not Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Where do you keep your bees worm and how have they overwintered?
    I will take your previous comment at face value that you are not Eric.
    Two hives,within 500 yards of the nothern Atlantic coast. Both active, but hoping it will stop snowing everyday and freezing every night.
    All of our other colonies have survived the winter,so far.

Blog Entries

You are lucky to have bees in a varroa free zone.
    Varroa plus virus is an even bigger factor in colony loss than the weather although the weather has been dire for about 10 months now.
    Locally we have lots of very small colonies which are just about hanging on but will succumb if the weather does not improve very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    You are lucky to have bees in a varroa free zone.
    Varroa plus virus is an even bigger factor in colony loss than the weather although the weather has been dire for about 10 months now.
    Locally we have lots of very small colonies which are just about hanging on but will succumb if the weather does not improve very soon.
    It's possible I owe you the odd apology,but wasn't sure you needed it ,or was banned before I could....

Blog Entries

I have a thick skin and I judge things on evidence.
    I don't get swayed by any of the zealots no matter how right they imagine themselves to be.

Good for you.
    Hope your skin is not so thick that nothing new gets in!

(note to self: stop before insult!)
    Have you read Graham's piece on Birds and Bees?
    Last edited by worm (JTF3); 09-04-2013 at 08:11 PM.

Blog Entries

I change my views all the time on the basis of evidence.
    I started out about 5 years ago thinking that neonicotinoids were a big problem for bees but the more I read the less convinced I became.
    I could still be convinced they are a major problem but the evidence is just not there for honeybees no matter how much bolding and underling you get from Graham White. Anyway, he thinks that anyone who disagrees with him works for bayer or a lobby group! Bonkers!
    There is more doubt around the risk to pollinators other than honey bees as far as I can see,

I also have more doubts about wing morphometry than I had when I started out with that, again due to reading plenty and also debating with a few sceptics who are well informed about it.

I never get swayed by ranting, campaigning, conspiracy theories or politicians and/or journalists jumping on a topical bandwagon.

Still,what about the article on Birds and Bees?