Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did the SBA vote to keep Neonics?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by madasafish View Post

i think neonics should be banned due to the clear impact it has on some human brains.. :-)
    Last edited by Trog; 04-04-2013 at 12:31 PM. Reason: superfluous square bracket

I think neonics should be banned due to the clear impact it has on some human brains.. :-)[/QUOTE]

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........................

Shall we, erm, vote on the question?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    Given the mounting evidence of harm and the known neurological effects of this highly lucrative product on insect life worldwide, and the reprecussions up to birds and down to worms, ............... .
    Just to show that the issue is not as black or white you apparently want us to think, a recent 12 year study by the Comité interprofessionnel des vins de Champagne has found an interesting result, and decided that it was not the moment for any communication on the subject.The study compared vines cultivated traditionally with those cultivated organically.Two key factors were retained: the microbian biomass (is that English?) and the earthworm population in the soil.Result? More earthworms present in the traditionally cultivated soils than in the organic ones. The reason given was the extra use of copper in organic grape growing.
    Another study carried out in Languedoc-Roussillon reveals that the earthworm population in organically cultivatrd soil compared with traditionally cultivated vines has diminished by 65% over the last 17 years.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    I doubt anyone was saying they like pesticides being used
    Precisely. And decision makers need to be informed of the many consequences of their decisions to be able to weigh the pros and cons.

Blog Entries

I use bordeaux mix which contains copper sulphate to spray my spuds and one of the other guys on the allotments who uses dithane argues with me that bordeaux mix is maybe worse for the soil due to the copper in it even though it is considered a 'soft' treatment and was allowed in organic production until recently. It maybe still is allowed although I know it was under review.

Hi Jon

Lots of big potato growers in this area so blight is a problem
    I wasn't sure about resistant types but grew Sarpo Mira and they didn't need any treatment at all
    You can make decent chips or harvest them early like new potatoes and they are pretty good flavour wise I think
    They store well and although they are red they are not to dark to see in fresh dug soil
    Last year was a useless wash out though so nothings infallible
    I'm giving Orla a try as well this year as its a first early (if I ever get them in the ground)
    Gavin is half potato (I hear)and should be able to reel the most resistant ones off without thinking

Blog Entries

Orla's good. Think that may be the mysterious potato that grew for years in the compost heap during several blight years, yielded masses of big spuds, and grew very well when planted properly. Growing it again this year from own seed. Got some Charlotte in yesterday; just going out to put some of the mystery spud in ... unless we decide to check the bees instead ...

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    Orla's good. Think that may be the mysterious potato that grew for years in the compost heap during several blight years, yielded masses of big spuds, and grew very well when planted properly. Growing it again this year from own seed. Got some Charlotte in yesterday; just going out to put some of the mystery spud in ... unless we decide to check the bees instead ...
    I really wanted some Charlottes this year but there is still snow on the veg patch so by the time they got planted and grew they would be struck down like Obi Wan in Star Wars

I've gone off topic there so I'll ask -- Do you think that the use of Neonic pesticides is hindering the development of disease and pest resistant plants ??
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 04-04-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I use bordeaux mix which contains copper sulphate to spray my spuds ....
    Chemical Jonni!

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    I really wanted some Charlottes this year but there is still snow on the veg patch so by the time they got planted and grew they would be struck down like Obi Wan in Star Wars

I've gone off topic there so I'll ask -- Do you think that the use of Neonic pesticides is hindering the development of disease and pest resistant plants ??
    You mean undo in 20 years the selective process that has taken millenia ?

Quote Originally Posted by madasafish View Post
    You mean undo in 20 years the selective process that has taken millenia ?
    Well you might have a point there but I actually meant where two line bred plants are combined giving both hybrid vigour and greater disease and pest resistance
    If a plant showed these qualities and could breed true from open pollination companies wouldn't sell it they would cross it and re-brand it
    There always has to be a barrel which someone can hold you over if you are to hand over all your cash