Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SG consultation on an Amm reserve on Colonsay

That explains it £5.00 might not be too bad but the equipment cost very high
    I saw a you tube video where a chap made his own electron microscope best get the toolbox out Jimbo

DNA is a bit old hat for us now. You want to be playing with miRNA at £18.00 per sample to extract. Just finished a re furbishment of a genotyping lab and just spent £6M on the equipment

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    The BIBBA chap is Terry Claire and is the current BIBBA Chairman. I think Terry is coming up to Inverness soon to run his practical bee breeding course again
    Will Messenger took over from Terry recently as Bibba chair

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    DNA is a bit old hat for us now. You want to be playing with miRNA at £18.00 per sample to extract. Just finished a re furbishment of a genotyping lab and just spent £6M on the equipment
    Thing is though Jimbo DNA might be old hat in your neck of the woods but its very new hat in beekeeping

What if we are supporting protection of a population of bees on Colonsay and at the same time there is a much better match to AMM elsewhere

Also DNA could be done on drones who mirror the queens they come from (and you should only need 1 in the sample)

That drone ranger guy is clueless -- check the web --DNA extraction is a tricky business
    He probably is thinking of the one where they just set things on fire (gas chroma something or other)
    The drone for testing would probably need to be posted alive and kicking
    He's a moronic cretin and I'm saddled with him!

Tonto

Is that so Tonto well here's some people trying to get DNA from propolis (might be a scam)
    http://connect.barcodeoflife.net/for...-from-propolis
    And let's just keep the discussion on an adult level you steaming pile of buffalo poo

Blog Entries

Voices in the head is no problem they say unless you start to answer them.

Phew that's ok then

Jimbo Joking aside will there be a map of near AMM by the time the Acarine project and your scanning project complete ?

I watched the news this morning and a kid had built his own DNA analyser for £400 in his bedroom to check his brothers DNA.
    He says he proved his brothers red hair was a mutation (and not a milkman) phenomenon

Hi DR,

I have just completed the first 12 samples sent by Ewan. Another 35 is in the post. I don't know how many wing samples Ewan has for me and I don't know how Ewan is progressing with his Acarine study. He may be along later to give you an update
    Ewan's samples are identifed by their post codes which I hope to send to Donna (a beekeeper I met a few years ago on the morphometry course) who works in Moray college and has experience and software for mapping the data
    The wing morphometry is not part of Ewan's original Acarine study but I thought it was too good a chance to miss getting a large number of samples from various locations. It could be used as a pilot study to a more comprehensive mapping study of Amm organised perhaps through the SBA