Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SBA AGM Vote in the Herald

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Check it out here:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/h...cides.20543869

There is also a letter here by Clare Darlaston who spoke on Saturday in defense of Eric's motion:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/commen...cides.20543861

Not much on the views of the beekeepers that voted against the motion. Maybe it is time to write a letter .......
    registering with the Herald set 15 extra tracking cookies in firefox browser
    funniest comment so far was some lady saying she wont be buying Scottish honey in future
    It's pretty unlikely will get any after last years weather I would think

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    I presume that you're talking about the improvement in vigour noted by farmers planting neonic seed (unsubstantiated of course), and so them being better for pollinators, and hence a reward warranted for the boost for bees?

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk
    Other way really give the higher subsidy for untreated seed

I'm not sure that higher seed production / hectare is better or worse for the bees.
    Thats kind of tied to nectar production by the variety grown
    Any idea of proportions of wind/ insect pollination in rape ?

To quote Jonathan Ross "wun for your wives hes a waypest and a wobber"
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 19-03-2013 at 06:38 PM.

Blog Entries

There was a report somewhere, Australia maybe, which found that having bee colonies around the OSR increased the yield by 15%

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    There was a report somewhere, Australia maybe, which found that having bee colonies around the OSR increased the yield by 15%
    I think that I heard that figure as well
    Would that mean the rest of the pollination is wind though or other insects ?

Blog Entries

Err, Droney, I wasn't being sarcastic. It WAS nice to see a balanced article where the reporter has taken the trouble to put both sides of the argument!

Ho hum. Time to put the hens to bed and read the bees their bedtime story

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    Nice to see a balanced article where the reporter has taken the trouble to seek a reply to the accusations. Let's hope any others do the same.
    Does anyone know the Glasgow beekeeper who wrote the letter? How long has she kept bees?
    Yes

She's not a new beekeeper and this doesn't surprise me, although it does disappoint.

I'm baffled by the fact that the vote surmounts to supporting neonics. I'm sure the vote wasn't do you want the ban or do you want to support the neonics, or am I missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    Err, Droney, I wasn't being sarcastic. It WAS nice to see a balanced article where the reporter has taken the trouble to put both sides of the argument!

Ho hum. Time to put the hens to bed and read the bees their bedtime story

All hens already in house due to 9" of snow.

Sorry I'm a bit slow

I'm starting a campaign to promote the benefits of star or evening primrose oil.

"Why plant rape when borage is nicer" is the campaign slogan

When the immovable force meets the irresistible object its time to hide

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Other way really give the higher subsidy for untreated seed
    I was being flippant. And making a point I suppose - neonics (in small doses) could be good for bees via the effect they have on the plant.

Wind vs insect? Neither, mostly. The rubbing of flowers in the breeze, the diurnal and weather-induced opening and closing of the flowers. Separate the pollen and seed producing plants, as happened in the once-popular variety Synergy, and not too much of that happens, so wind and insects it is. In a May like this March the plants didn't do well at all. I once wrote a whole report on this sort of stuff, now buried in Defra's vaults somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    To quote Jonathan Ross "wun for your wives hes a waypest and a wobber"
    You are seriously challenging Jon's position as the most entertaining poster on here!

Blog Entries

That Dwone Wanger is no competition at all!

Hate to tell you Jon but "yer wanger" pronounced as in "banger" means something completely different round here! Think male and appendage and do so quickly lest it gross you out too much!