Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SBA AGM Vote in the Herald

Blog Entries

Default SBA AGM Vote in the Herald

Check it out here:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/h...cides.20543869

There is also a letter here by Clare Darlaston who spoke on Saturday in defense of Eric's motion:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/commen...cides.20543861

Not much on the views of the beekeepers that voted against the motion. Maybe it is time to write a letter .......

Blog Entries

Nice to see a balanced article where the reporter has taken the trouble to seek a reply to the accusations. Let's hope any others do the same.
    Does anyone know the Glasgow beekeeper who wrote the letter? How long has she kept bees?

2 "imagines" prove nothing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    Nice to see a balanced article where the reporter has taken the trouble to seek a reply to the accusations. Let's hope any others do the same.
    Does anyone know the Glasgow beekeeper who wrote the letter? How long has she kept bees?
    I've met her a few times at beekeeper meetings in Glasgow. She sups from the same well as Eric opinions-wise and seems to have sent her letter straight to Moraybeedinosaurs (always nice to give them a mention) which might suggest a degree of behind the scenes collaboration between the campaigning types (see Jimbo's post on the other thread). Although I suppose it could have been Eric or maybe he just trawls the papers every morning.

Anyone else up for writing to the Herald with an alternative view?
    Last edited by gavin; 19-03-2013 at 03:50 PM.

Blog Entries

This false equivalence that not supporting a ban amounts to endorsement still annoys me.

Without a supporting framework behind the ban regards to what happens next it remains very difficult to support because the assumption has to be that the path of least resistance is to resume use of what came before and I remain unconvinced that it represents a better choice either for bees or the wider environment as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Neils View Post
    This false equivalence that not supporting a ban amounts to endorsement still annoys me.

Without a supporting framework behind the ban regards to what happens next it remains very difficult to support because the assumption has to be that the path of least resistance is to resume use of what came before and I remain unconvinced that it represents a better choice either for bees or the wider environment as a whole.
    I agree wholeheartedly
    Neonics kill all invertebrates they come in contact with but to just ban and then watch the fall out is fool hardy . I remember fishing on a nearby river when I heard puffing and panting followed by seeing a chap running with a flag ! He was a marker for a crop spraying light aircraft!. I was next enveloped in a cloud of some noxious substance concocted by the petro-chemical industry. What settled on the water look on a technicolor iridescent sheen !
    Please let's not return to those days!
    A strategic withdrawal from neonics I has got to be the sane option!
    WW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wouldn't it be easier just to adjust the subsidy paid on treated and untreated plantings ?

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    Hiya Trog

In fairness they do quote the SBA president on the small size of the voting members compared to the size of the SBA

re-reading that previous sentence it has a slight air of smut which of course was unintended

I often think new bee keepers are the best informed (except for the organic ones they are nuts)

Gone snow blind and stir crazy now

Blog Entries

Bear in mind that the voting members for the motion were smaller and I'll be happy!

Yes, many new beekeepers absorb everything and have a thirst to learn - not all of course.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    wouldn't it be easier just to adjust the subsidy paid on treated and untreated plantings ?
    I presume that you're talking about the improvement in vigour noted by farmers planting neonic seed (unsubstantiated of course), and so them being better for pollinators, and hence a reward warranted for the boost for bees?

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk