Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: SBA AGM motion on a moratorium on neonicotinoids

Quote Originally Posted by Stromnessbees View Post
    What if the covert industry representatives brought along some 'well meaning friends' to help defeat the motion?
    Can't someone put a stop to this ridiculousness? Fair enough if you want to post this sort of rubbish on Biobees but here? You're turning this into a utter farce.

As far as I can see you didn't get your own way and now you're crying foul.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromnessbees View Post
    Yes, Ian Craig supported the motion and he spoke very well.

But Phil Moss, whose primary interest should be the health of out bees, held a passionate speech against the motion, claiming that OSR had unmissable benefits for beekeepers despite the health concerns.

Yes, I would like the list of attendants checked against the list of fully paid up subscriptions.

If there is a discrepancy I think we need to repeat the vote.

With regards to connections to industry:

This point has been raised repeatedly, but to no avail.
    Several prominent members of the SBA are working or have been connected to jobs in plant research. There are issues of possible influences, but I have yet to see any of them abstain from voting, as required by the rules.
    Right there you're in the the realms of defamation Doris. You'd better hope that the people you're maligning aren't of a litigious mindset. And it's not the sort of thing the moderators of a forum should be tolerating.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    Right there you're in the the realms of defamation Doris. You'd better hope that the people you're maligning aren't of a litigious mindset. And it's not the sort of thing the moderators of a forum should be tolerating.
    We'll see what other members have to say about the issue, in the meantime I will send a request to check the list of attendants.

Blog Entries

binary fission

More like nuclear meltdown Jon!

Blog Entries

Anyway, what harm could there be in repeating the vote?

If all procedures were correct, then surely the outcome of a repeat vote should be the same.

Doris - you lost. Try again at next year's AGM. Just because a result isn't to your liking doesn't mean you get to have another try!

Shades of EU type "democracy" methinks.
    Same treatment as Ireland received from the EU, when a democratic vote went the "wrong" way, just keep holding it again until it goes the "right" way.

Doris. I have been attending the SBA AGM for over 12 years as well as my friend Ben for over 35 years. I can assure you that the only unknown faces in the room were from some members of an association in the west who actually voted for Eric's motion but did not even stay for the further discusion on the constitution. It will be interesting if we see the these same faces turn up again at subsequent SBA events.
    In my opinion the discussion for and against the motion was conducted in a fair manner as well as the vote.

Blog Entries

That's very interesting, Jimbo. I couldn't see all the room but did notice that there were a lot of empty chairs after the 'key' vote. I charitably assumed it was because folk were trying to get home in poor weather before it got dark.

I think the fact that out of the entire membership only 60-something members felt the vote was worth turning up for at all (and that's not allowing for the fact that many of those would attend the AGM anyway as they have always done) indicates that the neonics debate is not top of most beekeepers' priority list. Let's face it, the majority of members are within easy reach of Perth and there was Skype for those who are not.