Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SBA AGM motion on a moratorium on neonicotinoids

Blog Entries

Dontcha just love banter?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Anyone know the total membership?
    1536 according to the Membership Secretary and President just a few short hours ago.

Does it reflect the views of the membership? I have to say that I was quite surprised at the way it went, partly because when I walked into the room I saw a particularly good representation from the associations in the west that have already expressed a preference for Eric's motion. I guess that it is fair to say that (OK, several people told me) those who had been fairly disinterested did learn from the debate this afternoon. There were Big Guns (can I claim to be one?) speaking for both sides.

OK, Eric's motion as printed in the Scottish Beekeeper:

That the Scottish Beekeepers' Association petition the Scottish Government to invoke a moratorium on the use of the pesticides known as neonicotinoids until it is established that these substances do not have an unacceptably long half-life in the soil and that they do not damage pollinators or the soil dwelling organisms on which soil fertility depends.

Now then, I'm happy to discuss the implications of this further here but in the longer run I'd like to see the organisation put this behind it and try to heal some of the wounds this issue and similar have brought. I've invited Eric and other beekeepers without experience of seeing bees on OSR to come to see my bees on OSR in May, and perhaps have a picnic lunch in the orchard (my treat!). Although the offer wasn't well received it is still open and was well meant.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to speak to you Doris, but I would have been friendly if I had. Thought that you were looking great

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Noone has mentioned Opus Dei yet so in the interests of balance, I have just mentioned them.
    Why should the Freemasons and this upstart Illuminati get to hog the limelight not to mention the ballot boxes.
    It must have been like a medieval soup in Perth today.
    Gavin needs to supply a proper match report in the style of Stuart Hall, a man no stranger to pecadillos himself but perhaps beyond the help of any influential cult at this stage in his broadcasting career.
    LOL! (several more helpless chesty LOLs .... and a few sideways leery looks at the young ladies in the audience ..... ) Will that do for a Stuart Hall impersonation?!

I'm feeling bashful, as I did participate in the debate. Maybe someone else would like to summarise?

Blog Entries

Doris, in case you do feel like contributing, it wasn't until after I left that it struck me that the man sitting beside you (the one not called Eric) might be JTF. If it was I had a completely different mental image of him. Was it? Do tell!

Blog Entries

Did things remain civilised over the tea and biccies afterwards?

Blog Entries

There was me talking about healing wounds and you ask me that!

From the Chair, Phil said that he welcomed the way the debate had been conducted, and I whispered to the Inverness guy beside me - He wasn't listening in to Eric and me at tea time, then!

I can confirm that no blows were traded, and that I tried to be friendly - but that is as far as I'll go.

Blog Entries

Were many of the forum regulars at the meeting?
    The vast majority of the beekeepers I know have little or no interest in internet bee stuff or bee forums.
    I said hello to Phil McA last weekend at the UBKA event but did not get time for any further chatter.

Blog Entries

Difficult to trade blows while juggling tiny teacups, saucers and a jammy dodger

Blog Entries

Well, there was a Kate, and a Jimbo (neither likely home yet, maybe Jim is .. ) and a Trog (ish, can't explain that one to you), and a whole list of folk who post once in a while or just lurk .... and a couple who used to post but don't now ...... and maybe a pile who will post one day?

Blog Entries

Physical contact was indeed made, but it came in the form of a kindly attempt to usher me away from Eric by a lovely man who may have some McArthurian sympathies but is a kind and gentle soul who sensed trouble. Shan't name him but he is retiring from his excellent service for the association.

Blog Entries

I can think of two gentlemen (in the full sense of the word) who fit the bill. They will both be missed