Dontcha just love banter?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Anyone know the total membership?
1536 according to the Membership Secretary and President just a few short hours ago.

Does it reflect the views of the membership? I have to say that I was quite surprised at the way it went, partly because when I walked into the room I saw a particularly good representation from the associations in the west that have already expressed a preference for Eric's motion. I guess that it is fair to say that (OK, several people told me) those who had been fairly disinterested did learn from the debate this afternoon. There were Big Guns (can I claim to be one?) speaking for both sides.

OK, Eric's motion as printed in the Scottish Beekeeper:

That the Scottish Beekeepers' Association petition the Scottish Government to invoke a moratorium on the use of the pesticides known as neonicotinoids until it is established that these substances do not have an unacceptably long half-life in the soil and that they do not damage pollinators or the soil dwelling organisms on which soil fertility depends.

Now then, I'm happy to discuss the implications of this further here but in the longer run I'd like to see the organisation put this behind it and try to heal some of the wounds this issue and similar have brought. I've invited Eric and other beekeepers without experience of seeing bees on OSR to come to see my bees on OSR in May, and perhaps have a picnic lunch in the orchard (my treat!). Although the offer wasn't well received it is still open and was well meant.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to speak to you Doris, but I would have been friendly if I had. Thought that you were looking great