Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: SBA AGM motion on a moratorium on neonicotinoids

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Moss View Post
    If you get blight regularly, grow only earlies and second earlies (they bulk up earlier then maincrop) and cut off all the haulms as soon as you see any blight, as that cuts down the amount of blight spores in your soil.
    Thanks Phil I'm planning Sarpo Mira main with Orla for the earlies but I like charlottes and I will give your suggestion to chop off the tops a go.
    I used to need a testing kit to check for blight but it's been so much of a nuisance I could spot it in the dark now.
    Blight watch is a good site to monitor the outbreaks nearby

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    DR, you're spot on about crop rotation, but why try to stop farmers growing OSR? I don't like it, I don't like the swathes of yellow fields, and I don't like the oil it makes but those are my personal prejudices.

I don't know any beekeepers whose bees have been hurt by having their bees on OSR, and for some it's their main honey crop. If farmers are told not to grow OSR, can you be sure they'll replace it with something that can be used by bees? If not, then what the heck are quite a lot of beekeepers going to do?
    Bumble
    Your dead right from a bee keeping point of view bees only live 6 weeks in the field so they are ok
    There can't be much wrong with the nectar or pollen otherwise the brood would suffer and the don't

The members of the SBA who campaign against rape are looking beyond bees to other insects and the environment in general so the SBA is the wrong platform for that I would say.

I think though that if there is an financial incentive to plant rape it could possibly be used to reduce pesticides if possible

I'm starting a campaign to use lots of evening primrose oil -- lots of exaggerated health claims etc. you know the form
    Since MBC told me Borage is the plant that yields most of this oil and I fancy that as a substitute cash crop to rape.

Tell all your friends that if they bathe in evening primrose oil once a week they won't need to eat another vegetable in their lives and they will still live forever.
    P.s> don't sign anything like that
    area planted /yield for rape 00404551.jpg
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 20-03-2013 at 07:08 PM. Reason: improve grammar