Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Swarm trap

This might not be for everyone but since I started clipping the queen’s wings I’ve not lost a swarm. I still do regular inspections and it wouldn’t prevent casts but does give you more time.

I've just had a look at the swarm trap and asked the owner a few questions. It is the width of a hive and approximately 5" high and deep, it is deeper than it is high. The front is covered with wire queen excluder, which is hinged to open. The back also is covered with QX which curves away from the hive front and at the bottom there is a plastic bee escape into the trap - this looks suspiciously like a shoulder from a small square plastic drinks bottle. The essential point to note here is that once the queen leaves the hive she cannot return, this is the fundamental difference between the trap and a QE placed under the brood box. It has been used in a few situations where swarming was imminent and held the queen with a few bees and the swarm hanging on the outside, the suggestion for something larger was prompted by the hope that the top part could be blanked off and the swarm would cluster inside it. I intend to make something of the sort for my wife to use, if I am away one day and bees start to sound as if they intend to swarm!!!

If you are already aware of these swarm prevention measures please forgive me mentioning them.

1. Requeen every year with a Q. from a non swarming strain - this will dramatically reduce swarming, useful in a sensitive area.
    2. Clip one of the Q's wings. Use a crown of thorns, move her onto an area of flat honey and trap her. Get one wing through the mesh and cut off 1/2 - 2/3. Do not and I repeat do not hold her in your fingers and get her back into the hive as soon as possible.
    3. If you can hang a couple of hive roofs or quickly made copies, in the shade in the vicinity of the hive, with a used topbar fixed underneath - you may attract a swarm if it does issue.
    4. Learn to make an artifical swarm. It will be easier if you remember that in the classic a.f. the old queen remains in the old location. There are many variations, but that is the one you should learn first

I realise that some of the above has already been identified by other posters and in no way am I attempting to detract from what they said. If you would like an elaboration on any of the above please feel free to ask. I can recall drone traps on CDB hives from years ago - so the concept of a queen trap is not that innovative!
    Last edited by Dark Bee; 22-03-2013 at 03:26 PM.

Blog Entries

Good tips DB.
    The important thing is to be proactive in preventing swarms.
    It is much easier to do an artificial swarm at the right time than to go scrabbling about at the top of a ladder trying to retrieve one.

I used to use a crown of thorns but I now prefer the plunger cage for both marking and clipping queens.
    I find the queen on her frame, lay it flat the guide her into the cage before holding her still with the plunger for marking and clipping.
    You can then tease out one of the wings between the cross wires and clip off the tip.
    I like this method as you can walk 20 feet away from the hive so the queen can be marked and clipped in peace without the bees getting all over the cage.

plunger cage.jpg

There used to be a similar type of swarm entrance trap available, i have a couple some place but cannot think of the name of them atm, they consist of a deep box which tapers out about 6 inches in the lower section, with slotted zinc excluder over this lower narrow section/entrance, the top box contains two full size nation brood combs,with hinged lid above.
    The bees swarm as normal but queen cannot escape,so she goes up onto the two brood combs,bees then return and also join the queen on these two combs,just open the hinged lid and remove the two combs of bees and queen into another box.

Blog Entries

Maybe this isn't the thread to ask it, but what do people use to clip the queen's wings? I used nail scissors last year but they weren't that good. Do nail clippers work?

Blog Entries

Same as Jon. Although I got them as embroidery thread snips from Ebay.

[QUOTE=Pete L;16699]...................................., they consist of a deep box which tapers out about 6 inches in the lower section, with slotted zinc excluder over this lower narrow section/entrance, the top box contains two full size nation brood combs,with hinged lid above............................................. ..............................

I find that immensely interesting Pete, in fact the the original post in this thread had gotten me wondering if something of the sort would work. Please post any information you have and perhaps a photo if at all possible.

I use a small scissors to clip the queen, only one wing is done. I have encountered a swarm a long way from any apiary where the queen had both wings clipped. For those who are a little inexperienced - practise on drones and when clipping a queen; before the axe falls be certain there is not a leg also about to be amputated.

Anyone used a Taranov board.
    Looks like a nice experiment if I ever have my colonies back up to strength.
    http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/taranovswm.html

[QUOTE=Dark Bee;16710]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete L View Post
    I find that immensely interesting Pete, in fact the the original post in this thread had gotten me wondering if something of the sort would work. Please post any information you have and perhaps a photo if at all possible.
    Taken me a while to remember the proper name for these swarm catchers, they are called the Brice swarm catcher,really old, but i found they worked very well, but not used them for many years now.
    Here is a link to a brief bit about them,but no pics, right at bottom of page on the left.

http://www.hwbka.co.uk/wp-content/up...Newsletter.pdf

And there was a short thread which mentions them on BBKA forum.

http://www.bbka.org.uk/members/forum.php?t=1185